PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need some help - 04 Cruiser Bad Oil Pump Not Sensor...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2011, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need some help - 04 Cruiser Bad Oil Pump Not Sensor...

Have a 2004 PT Cruiser with 148K miles on it...was started up in the AM and oil light was on. Turned it off and took it to friends shop.

Removed the oil sending unit and replaced it with new one. Still no oil pressure. Took the newly installed sensor out and cranked the motor for a few seconds and "zero" oil coming out the oil sending unit hole.

Turned engine off and removed the oil pan, timing components and oil pump.

To me (working on cars since a little boy, and now 50...) the oil pump looks very good. There is the typical scratches on the internal parts but nothing at all that should give me "zero" pressure situation. Could it be internal to the pump as in spring and plunger etc...?

I need some advice here, I have never been inside a pump that far...could something else be plugged up here? Do I remove the small snap ring and allow the spring and plunger to be inspected or replaced....how can I trust this oil pump unless I find a 100% causal reason for the failure to produce pressure? Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
Old 15 May 2011, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need some help - 04 Cruiser Bad Oil Pump Not Sensor...

I answered this before and then deleted it so someone with more knowledge could come along and give their opinion. It is Sunday so things are slow.

What I said was, I'm no mechanic but you have gone a lot further than 99% of the owners on this forum to try and solve your problem. My question is why are you doubting that the pump is bad. At 148k that's a pretty good possibility that the spring or something has given way inside the pump even though it looks good from the outside. Hopefully you changed the water pump when the timing belt was done. That was probably working but bound to fail eventually and you didn't want to do that job again so the water pump was changed.

Same thing for the oil pump. You have it all apart, might as well change that pump too.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2011, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need some help - 04 Cruiser Bad Oil Pump Not Sensor...

X 2 for changing the pump. Hopefully you used OEM sensor, our PT's do NOT like aftermarket sensors!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar