Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need some Help - parking lights are staying on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2011, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need some Help - parking lights are staying on

I have a 2006 PT and I have had some problems lately with my battery. I just put a new battery in it today and the parking lights and lights in the center of the dashboard stay on after I turn off my lights. I had to pull the fuse to keep my battery from dying again. The fuse controls the parking lights, center dash lights, power locks and alarm. What could cause this? Has this been brought up here before as an issue?

Any help would be great!

Last edited by STLTGR; 14 May 2011 at 10:50 pm.
Old 14 May 2011, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need some Help - parking lights are staying on

Do you have the keyless entry system? May have SKIM issues if so. It's got a program for how long to allow the lights to stay on when you exit the car. Once in a blue moon the SKIM will freak out and hang that way.

I would suggest removing the positive lead off the battery for 5 minutes, while it's off, press on the brakes a couple times just to make sure no residual charge is on the system. Turn on everything while the battery is disconnected, I mean everything. Then turn it all back off before reconnecting.

I don't know why but this sometimes clears up these odd faults. If the SKIM is still buggered, then I'd have to delve deeper to try any other suggestions. Mind you, this is all assuming you have keyless entry.
Old 14 May 2011, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I have keyless entry. I'll give that a try. The battery light keeps going off and on too.

Thanks for the help!
Old 15 May 2011, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most of the time that this happens it is caused by the multifunction switch is going bad. Only fix is either a rebuild or a new one.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 May 2011, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good point Hooligan. My MFS problems were the opposite, but I could see how it could cause this. That thing is so buggered up I should have bought an extra for the next time it fails...