Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Negotiating tactics. Help please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2011, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Negotiating tactics. Help please...

Saw a Silver '08 LX priced at $9987 at an Import dealership I like. Basic/cloth seats. I checked the Kelley blue book and nada and it looks like a fair dealership price would be around $11K. Their $9987 price is called 'no hassle'. But, I don't buy used without haggling. (I've never bought new). I read (Edmunds) that the PT has less than average resale values. Which may explain the 1K difference in what the dealership is asking. I haven't gone over there yet to check it out. Pictures look excellent though. Was thinking, if I like the car, of starting out saying I'll pay 8K out the door. Figure they'll act like they're doing me a favor at $9987 out the door. It's been 6 yrs. since I've haggled. Could use some pointers and thoughts on a realistic price point. Thanks!
Old 16 May 2011, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Negotiating tactics. Help please...

well first id try to find something that is comparable to thatc ar and see what it is priced at
then check the milles on the lady
is it loaded????
sunroof---heated seats---leather---turbo----not really a lot of options on the PT but there are some
guess it is not a dream cruser???

you could say that the MPG sucks (between 20-23 mpg)
timing belt at 100,000 miklesa and that is about $800-$1000
Old 16 May 2011, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for info on timing belt and gas mileage. That helps. Looks like it's a basic Cruiser. AC/electric windows, but not seats. Cloth, not leather. 45,709 mi. I forgot to check the trade-in value. Will do that now so I have an idea of what they may have given on a trade. Maybe can work up from there.
Old 16 May 2011, 05:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

If you get them down to 8k for that baby, then you are a haggling god. They are selling her at a good price. her engine life is about 3.5 yr's old so you may be able to use that against them. i have an 07 and she doesn't even have that many miles on her yet.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Wolfman. Still on the fence on this one since it's a basic model. I'm used to more bells and whistles. Speaking of which, your Eve is a beaute!
Old 17 May 2011, 08:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Do a lot of looking. With autotrader, edmunds, kbb and a bunch of other sites you can gage close to the true market value of the car especially in the region you live in.

This article is a little old and maybe outdated but it is an interesting read.

Confessions of a Car Salesman — Edmunds.com
Old 17 May 2011, 09:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Check to see if you are getting the rear shelf because some of the used PT's come to the dealer with the shelf missing and they will tell you the shelf is optional. That can be a small negotiating point. Make sure it has all the carpeted floor mats. Another negotiating point in tax, title, and tag. Those items are worth a lot of money. A second key fob is another negotiating point. Generally the dealer is only going to provide one key and these are very expensive on the newer models. These dealers buy these cars at auctions and get them at wholesale prices so they have plenty of room to negotiate no matter what they tell you. Let the dealer know you are looking at other cars and that you are prepared to walk away if he won't negotiate. Never let them know that you really want the car or you will be at a disadvantage right from the start. Interested yes but just gotta have it no. You can be sure that no matter what price they have on the car they are making a profit.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

im not 100% but there re only so many options on a PT I know heated seats--- leather seats--- sunroof--- traction control --- I think some may have come with a Nav system btu im not sure--- the turbo ---- A/C----key fob-----Gt package-----roof rack---- Chrysler could have made this such a sweet car if they would have taken the time to do a mijor upgrade
Old 17 May 2011, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

go cash in hand if u can. that always seems to work for me. hard to turn down a buyer with cash in hand. id offer 8k and meet in the middle. also depends on how long they have had the car.
Old 17 May 2011, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

A few months ago I found my 09 Silver base automatic at the local Toyota dealer.
They were asking $9499 as an internet only special, $11,??? regular price.
I looked at it and was what I wanted, 2 year lease return with 38k miles, really clean with a 1 year warranty.

They started out real firm with the price, but in the end after I said I had a few more to look at I ended up getting it for $9400 otd. About $8400 plus t&l.

Good luck negotiating, it is a buyers market and the dealer can always replace the car but not always the buyer......