PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition Issue !!, Fuel pump, filter or MAP sensor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2011, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Ignition Issue !!, Fuel pump, filter or MAP sensor?

Hi, I just purchased of a Limited Edition 2002 with 175k miles !!!! I know...I'm fixing things here and there..
So the problem started with the fuel pump, it was pretty much dead, I purchased only the replacement electrical motor with the filter, and worked fine, until some days ago where it started to fault as if not enough fuel was being pumped, I pressed the fuel valve and seemed a lot of pressure there,
I've change the sparks and some burned fuses.

Somebody told me that it could be the MAP sensor, I really dont know where to start, since the problem comes and goes.

Old 17 May 2011, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Issue !!, Fuel pump, filter or MAP sensor?

How could it have been working "fine" with a few blown fuses?

You say you changed the sparks which I take it means spark plugs but what about the wires, they wear out too?

It seems like a lot of pressure, but you'll never know without testing it. 15 lbs of pressure seems a lot but if you need about 45 lbs it won't work right.

You replaced the pump motor and filter but it's always a good idea to flush out the injectors when messing with the pump. It takes very little debris to clog one or two of them up.

Go for the MAP sensor last unless your getting a fault code (P0105, 106, 107 or 108)

Are you getting the engine light that says there's a fault somewhere ?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 May 2011 at 06:06 pm.
Old 17 May 2011, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Ignition Issue !!, Fuel pump, filter or MAP sensor?

I know, I'm not sure how it it worked with so many fuses blown out,
Actually when I just bought it smelled like burned plastic, unplugge dth ebattery and started looking for any burn fuses, and found one!!, 10A red fuse within the interior fuse box, replaced it and everything went back to normal.

Yes, I meant the spark plugs, Did not test the wires (don't know how), as well as the pressure I wouldn't know how to test that. Also did not flushed the injectors (is there any ways I can do that?).,

The feeling when it starts failing goes as follows; start the car and if uphill (manual transmission) Right form the beginning feels as if I need to keep on giving gas, (pressing the pedal on a repetitive mode) to have it go, If I don't do this the car simply doesn't "have enough power" once I reach second gear ( I usually switch at 2100-2500RPM) and the car has speed then everything is normal,

I know it has something to do with some of these reasons
Old 17 May 2011, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Issue !!, Fuel pump, filter or MAP sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somarillw View Post
Yes, I meant the spark plugs, Did not test the wires (don't know how), as well as the pressure I wouldn't know how to test that. Also did not flushed the injectors (is there any ways I can do that?).,
Without the proper equipment and manuals, testing isn't your option. Since you didn't know the history of the car, wires should have been done with the plugs. Easy enough to do now.

Fuel pressure; here's something to read but you might want to have that done professionally along with a forced injector cleaning.

How To Check Fuel Pressure On A Pt Cruiser - Page (1) - Doocu.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Tags
fuel filter, fuel pump, map sensor