Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Misbehaving cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2011, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Misbehaving cruiser

Was running errands this morning when I heard a strange noise from the engine area of the cruiser. I quickly park and shut off the vehicle. When i step out of the car I see antifreeze coming from underneath. I wait till the noise stops to pop the hood, check fluids and radiator is full. I call the hubby out to help...Heres what we noticed...car does not overheat (ran for serveral minutes even drove home), radiator doesnt appear to leak, water pump and timing belt recently replaced and have about 10k miles on them, at first there was a little bit of white smoke from tail pipe but that has stopped, there is a little bit of a noise from exhaust when you rev the engine. After arriving at home we filled the resevoir and it seemed to hold fluid even after car was running. Oh and you can hear the pump turn on and ac works. Any idea on where or why or what made the antifreeze pour out?

I think the cruiser waited till it was paid off to go haywire.
2002 PT Cruiser Touring Ed.
116k miles
Old 18 May 2011, 01:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Misbehaving cruiser

Are you sure the cooling fan is running? It sounds like it overheated, the fan should run as soon as you turn on the AC. This is a common thing on PT's, having the fan stop working.
Old 18 May 2011, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It sounded like the fan came on. While driving home I turned on the ac as well and things seemed ok. I never saw the temperature needle go above where it normally is.
Old 18 May 2011, 02:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

The white smoke is a bit of concern, if the car did overheat the head could be warped, or the head gasket may be damaged. If either of these things happen the exhaust will make it's way into the cooling system and force coolant out the overflow bottle, and you may see the white smoke out the tail pipe that you mentioned. Keep an eye on the overflow, if it goes empty again or you hear it "bubbling" like boiling water you may have your answer.
Old 25 May 2011, 05:34 am
Regular Cruiser

It's possible that the coolant bottle was too full and overflowed once the vehicle got warm.
Old 25 May 2011, 06:31 am
Regular Cruiser

I can't answer your question as to why it happened, but I would recommend that you keep a close eye on both your oil and your coolant.

I would look for moisture in the oil, this is often a sign of a warped head/ blown head gasket. If you see what looks like a milky or white substance in your oil then you may have serious problems..... at the least it's time to get things checked out.

keeping an eye on the coolant is simply a way to make sure that you've always got enough in the system...

good luck

Exco

Bill
Old 25 May 2011, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

IF you think your water is mixing with your oil, you can buy a substance to put on your dipstick, it will turn red when it contacts moisture. I used it years ago in the CG when we were loosing water. Also works with gasoline & diesel fuel. You should be able to get it at a auto parts store.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 May 2011, 10:50 am
Cool Cruiser

White smoke out the exhaust means you are burning coolant. Suspect head gasket failure.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you put antifreeze up top the top line in the overflow bottle whe it was warm, that's why it pushed out coolant. Top line is coolant level at "hot", if you fill to there when it's cold, it WILL push out coolant.
If you park you car outside, a little bit of white smoke can just be from condensation in exhaust - which should stop quickly as exhaust warms up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles