Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cross country trip in my PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2011, 08:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Cross country trip in my PT

Hey everyone... for those of you who have been here a while you probably remember my post from back in November of 2009 when my PT was hit at work, I ended up getting laid off 2 weeks later, then was unemployed until I got the Mitsubishi job in Savannah in September 2010.

Well, in October Mitsubishi sent me to Kent, Washington right outside of Seattle for training with Flow Corp, a leading waterjet CNC manufacturer.

Fast forward to February 2011 and I was laid off from Mitsubishi. After spending a couple months looking around Georgia for work I finally accepted the fact that I wasn't going to find a decent job so I began to look all over the country.

On May 2nd I found a position in Auburn, WA (right outside of Kent, which is right outside of Seattle) for a waterjet position with a Boeing subcontractor. I sent them my resume, got a call the same day, interviewed over the phone the following week, and was hired. They are paying my way out there and I left Georgia 2 days ago.

Small world eh? Never in a million years did I think I would get a job out there. I've already got a place in Kent, which is where I went for the training last October. I am looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe... I have spent the last 13 years and 27 of my 36 years in the state of Georgia and I am sick of the heat, humidity, and 10% unemployment rate.

Washington state will be a refreshing change. I left Tuesday morning from Savannah... drove 650 miles to Metropolis, IL the first day... 680 miles to Sioux City, Iowa yesterday. Today I went 450 miles to Rapid City, South Dakota and stopped to see Mount Rushmore and the other attractions in this area. I've got 2 days of driving to get to Seattle but I'm not in any rush... I don't start the job till the 27th.

Been a great trip so far... PT just hit 80,000 miles but has been running great. A couple weeks back I replaced the radiator fan which is the first thing I've had to do to the car other than routine maintenance since I bought it at 45,000 miles in March of 2009.

AAA estimated my gas expenses at $612 for the 3000 mile trip, but that was at about 21 mpg. I'm currently getting almost 26 mpg which is the best mileage I have EVER gotten in the car... one of the big reasons I think is the fact I haven't had to turn on the A/C AT ALL the entire trip. It was 60 degrees when I left Georgia and has stayed that way... it's currently 45 up here in South Dakota. I've spent about $250 so far in gas for the first 1750 miles... with 1000 or so to go I figure I'll probably end up around $400-$450 in gas depending on west coast prices, but no way will I spend $612.

I paid $3.62 in Savannah, $3.95 in Atlanta, and every other place I've stopped has been between $3.65 and $3.84 which has helped.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my cross country trip with everyone!
Old 19 May 2011, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cross country trip in my PT

Interesting story, keep us in the loop.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 May 2011, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm glad you found some work and I'm glad the PT is doing well

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 20 May 2011, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You'll have to change your profile....
Good luck in the NorthWest.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 May 2011, 11:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just changed the profile... will add some links to the thread once I get everything together. Got some amazing photos and video on the trip, and I would do it again... it was a great drive.

Job is going well... I was told we had enough work from Boeing to run the shop for about 9 years, so hopefully this means better job security than before.

At any rate, been here 6 days and loving it... these 45-60 degree days are much better than Georgia heat.

As far as my travel estimates I did well. 3080 miles total, 50 hours, 62 mph average... $950 total from Georgia to Washington... $473 on gas, $477 on hotels and food.