PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Owner, Bumper Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2011, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile New Owner, Bumper Question

Hi Guys

My apologies if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post. Anyways I just purchased a 2003 PT T/E for my son, Its in pretty good shape apart from the front bumper which you can see from the pic is in need of a respray. I figured out it was obviously replaced at some stage and then badly painted, because the paint just comes off using a hose on it lol. So my question is how would I go about painting it, I am fairly capable with painting and feel confident I can tackle this job myself.

Would the best bet be to order the paint online in the form of aerosol cans? And if i chose this route approx how many cans would i need to complete the job. I realize I have a tricoat so I would obviously need two different cans + the clear coat.

Second question, how would I go about preventing what happened before, IE the paint just flaking off, I assume i would use a primer or adhesive agent?

Thanks for any advice given
IMAG0008.jpg
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0003.jpg
Old 20 May 2011, 05:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: New Owner, Bumper Question

I'll send this to Candyman and WWPTC, they'll be able to help you.
Old 20 May 2011, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

welcome.
i personally would take it to an auto body shop and have them paint it. probably cost a couple hundred bucks but they would do a good job. and they would blend it so it matches the rest of the car. plus you'll have a warranty of some sort.
Old 20 May 2011, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
welcome.
i personally would take it to an auto body shop and have them paint it. probably cost a couple hundred bucks but they would do a good job. and they would blend it so it matches the rest of the car. plus you'll have a warranty of some sort.
That's good advice.
Old 20 May 2011, 05:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I agree with the above statement,take it to a body shop and let them do it right.When I had my 2001 PT the body shop only charged $300 to paint both bumpers and they ended up looking like they were factory painted.
Old 20 May 2011, 06:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Once Candyman get's a hold of this, he'll give you some good advice but proly tell you to take it somewhere too. That's what he did for me when i was asking about a paint question.
Old 20 May 2011, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 2001 - some of the early 2003"s were sold unpainted. Some owners had them painted, looking at your pics, I think there was damage to the front end and wound up with a poor paint job as the paint is flaking of the piece below the headlight.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 May 2011, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Guys

Thanks for the great response, I will probably go and get some estimates, cause it would be hard to match the color exactly. @ Holligan, that's what i originally thought, and that's what the previous owner told me, but the back bumper is not black and is a perfect match lol, so I defiantly think this is not the original bumper and the original one did indeed come painted, I doubt they would sell a car with back bumper color coded and the front not?
Old 21 May 2011, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 21 May 2011, 05:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Oddly enough, I kind of like it. Kind of a retro 80's red camo look. Would be sweet across the entire car!