Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Scrap it or fix it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2011, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Scrap it or fix it

New here and looking for some sage advice. Took my 2001 PT to favorite mechanic for brake work. Locked up rear brakes in loose gravel and laid it over on the drivers side. At a minimum need to replace all metal on that side and the small glass panel behind rear door.

Car as 120k+ miles on it. Just had done the water pump, timing belt and gold spark plugs work. 2 new Michelin's on front.

No insurance (I've been an unpaid caregiver for 3 years) and don't yet know the cost of repairs. Will be trying to decide how much money to put into it and appreciate any advice.
Old 24 May 2011, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Scrap it or fix it

Just looking at used parts, rather than new, door = $375 front, $275 rear, handles $25, driver's door glass $25, rear door glass $55, back glass $45, left front fender new $85, front fender liner $26, rear fender $182, add a couple hundred for other odds and ends, then $800 for paint. This is if you do the work yourself, except the paint. Around $2k in parts and paint, if you want to replace rather than repair.

Question is - is it worth it to you? If not, you can make more than that amount by parting it out. I see guys on ebay who are also listing on 5 or 6 other forums, so lots of opportunity.
Old 24 May 2011, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Is this the mechanics fault? If so that can help you with cost.

Most peoplemsay a car is never the same after a wreck, It really depends how deep the metal warping goes, if it just slid around and everythijg could be replaced and the frame isnt effed then maybe you could fix it.

But ive seen some pts here locally 01's with 120k for bout 3500. Maybe itd be best to cut your losses and get a newer pt and take whats valuable out o the old and place it in the new then part out the pt online or sell it to a salvage yard or a local kid for parts or use it yourself if youre handy

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2011, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's what I would do, just my opinion: $2k to fix, $3500 for another one... I'd buy another PT and part out the old one. Just not worth it in my book. Now I just went through this with my PT. Didn't "look" so bad, but once we got it up on a lift, oh boy. The front end was tore up and most of it had to be replaced. It was in the shop just over 5 weeks, that tells you what kind of condition it was in. I had to argue myself blue in the face to keep the insurance company from writing it off as a total loss.

Always your choice when it comes to what to do after a wreck....
Old 25 May 2011, 07:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice. I'm moving to a parsonage with no garage in two weeks so selling it for parts won't be too practical right now. Don't believe the front end is damaged (even the air bags didn't go off) as I was almost stopped when it slid into the bank and rolled. Didn't slide on it's side just flopped over. If I can't find a body shop to fix it for less than 2k I'll just start ordering red body parts and replace them myself over time. It is not my primary car and we can take our time getting it fixed up again.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it just rolled onto it's side, then a lot of that tin is repairable. I actually enjoy spending time tapping gently on dents, it's sort of cathartic... you can't think of all your work woes and such when you're tapping away.
Old 26 May 2011, 04:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

That possibility came up yesterday. I have a neighbor that I helped re-roof last year. Turns out he works for a custom body shop and would like some side work. He said much the same thing in that he could probably fix the existing metal rather than replace.

Thanks.
Old 26 May 2011, 05:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

sorry to hear about your prob's but id like to welcome you to the site.
I'm Danny my PT is Eve and we say hello from san antonio.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 03:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

If there would be a large chance to recover the things that was broken on that car I think you should fix it. If not, then go scrap it.