Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Picking Up My 02' A/T Tomorrow? Is This A Good un'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2011, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Picking Up My 02' A/T Tomorrow? Is This A Good un'

Good Day and Greetings from Sunny South Africa!

First let me introduce myself to the Good People of this board *waves*

I am currently in the midst of purchasing an 02' Cruiser from a private buyer. I have gotten nothing but grief from friends and family as they are assuring me its a bad purchase. However not one of them have owned or even DRIVEN a cruiser before so I am happy to dismiss their opinions out of hand. However the esteemed folk of this board might be able to give me advice?

Its got really low mileage for a 2002 vehicle 160 000kms which is roughly 100 000 miles or so I think? And at present the only mechanical issue (few cosmetic issues as well - but just some scratches) I can see with the vehicle is that its going to need new shocks, which I got a surprisingly low quote for parts and labour wise. Less than shocks for my 01 Astra Coupe I currently drive.

Would love to hear from you folk of anything I should possibly look out for/expect? Honestly though for the price he is giving it to me for I would not be unhappy having to do some work on it. At the same time I dont want to buy a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.0 Lemon Edition. I am pretty far from being wealthy.

Thanks for hearing me out and looking forward to hearing from you - and becoming a regular poster of many happy stories of me and Cruiser
Old 26 May 2011, 02:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Picking Up My 02' A/T Tomorrow? Is This A Good un'

Is the timing belt already done? That's a big ticket item if not!
Old 26 May 2011, 05:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As Calab pointed out, the timing belt is due NOW on this cruiser and it's an expensive repair. I would say the owner did NOT do this so it will be left up to you. other than that, have the front end checked out to include the suspension and front wheel bearings. Also a good test is to turn the car on and let it sit at idle with the A/C turned on for about 20 minutes. The temperature gauge should stay right around the middle and not raise to the point of getting hot. That will check the cooling system and the A/C. Good Luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2011, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

CruiserSA, Welcome to the Forum!!! X2 on what Crewzin said.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 May 2011, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Gentlemen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
As Calab pointed out, the timing belt is due NOW on this cruiser and it's an expensive repair. I would say the owner did NOT do this so it will be left up to you. other than that, have the front end checked out to include the suspension and front wheel bearings. Also a good test is to turn the car on and let it sit at idle with the A/C turned on for about 20 minutes. The temperature gauge should stay right around the middle and not raise to the point of getting hot. That will check the cooling system and the A/C. Good Luck.
Hmmmm Timing Belt eh? I wouldnt know where to start. Maybe I will call up my local Chrysler Agent quickly and just check with them what type of numbers I am looking at. I know it had a major service recently and he has the papers to prove it, but I know he didnt do that. Will do the cooling system check but other than that the car is as good as purchased, we have already sorted out paperwork - REALLY appreciate the tips guys.
Old 27 May 2011, 09:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Most people sell the cruiser right before it hits 100k and hope for an uneducated buyer that doesn't know the belt and water pump are due. With that said if it's a nice PT and you do the service she will be ready for another 100k. It's a strong motor and will go for a long time if taken care of. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 May 2011, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserSA View Post
Thanks Gentlemen!

Hmmmm Timing Belt eh? I wouldnt know where to start. Maybe I will call up my local Chrysler Agent quickly and just check with them what type of numbers I am looking at. I know it had a major service recently and he has the papers to prove it, but I know he didnt do that. Will do the cooling system check but other than that the car is as good as purchased, we have already sorted out paperwork - REALLY appreciate the tips guys.

Well the numbers you are looking at are SCARRY

Most will pay between $900-$1200
Yes that is Right its the labor that will kill you the parts can be gotten for around $200 or so but it is 6-8 hours of work
1 thing to be sure of MANK SURE THERE IS A GURANTEE I cant tell you how many have had it done and it is 1 tooth off and you have to go back and REDO EVERYTHING make sure whoever you get will back up there work or you will be paying doubl;e