Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 dropped into limp mode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2011, 01:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2001 dropped into limp mode

Howdy folks!

Wife called today with her 2001 base model in limp mode. only 2nd gear, SES light on. She got home and I had her key dance over the phone - P0700. Advance Auto is right across the street so she is getting the car over there to see if she can find the tranny specific codes.
Fluid level is OK/not burnt, idles just fine, She says the car was literally driving just fine, then it stumbled and SES light came on and limited her to 2nd.

One thing of note - we HAVE been having a vibration/noise (cyclical-louder with more speed, not really changing in frequency though) thats progressively getting worse. I thought at first it was an out of balance tire, but the tire shop said it was a wheel bearing.

I've just done the inner/outer tie rods (6 months back or so) but other than the noise starting about 5 weeks ago nothing of note happening with the car.

My first thought is solenoid pack. Any others? I'll edit this with the extended codes if Advance auto is good enough to get them.
Old 27 May 2011, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 dropped into limp mode

Lots of owners had trouble with that solenoid pack. I don't think your auto stores are going to get any deeper into the problem than telling you what you already know. P0700, Automatic Transmission Control System Malfunction. Now you need the device to read the TCM (Transmission Control Module) to narrow it down.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 27 May 2011, 02:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah I was hoping the advance store would be able to read the TCM code for her, but maybe not. Always a crap shoot with those guys. Not so sure I want to just chuck a part at it unless I can find more out.

Any clue on what device to read the TCM code?
Old 27 May 2011, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just a scanner that trans shops, dealers and a lot of good auto shops that service cars.

Just found this in a serch. Wiorth a try.

The shifting strategy is called 'limp-mode'. It's a failsafe in the event of a catastrophic computer failure. It could be the PCM, TCM, or BCM causing the fault. Water intrusion is unlikely, due to the connector seals. The circuit boards are coated in waterproof conformal coating. Once the fault caused the limp-mode, you will have diagnostic codes to read with a scanner. They should indicate a general location of the fault.

Follow up from owner - The dealer indicated that the fuse for the Transmission Control Module had worn out. Some PT's have blown the TCM fuse due to chaffed wires under the battery support bracket. They wiggle tested the fused positive battery wire from the PDC to TCM with an ohmmeter connected to the circuit and no shorts were discovered, however they noticed (questionable) wires that appeared to be chaffed. The wires did not look like they were worn through the insulation, however they repaired them anyway. They reinstalled battery support and battery, replaced the old fuse with a new one and test drove the vehicle which operated normally. They could not find any " real " reason as to why this happened, so it could happen again. The total cost for repairs was about $160.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 02 Jun 2011, 03:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK all is well now. Just an FYI - It was P0755 (solenoid B malfunction if I recall). And for everyones info:

Actron®

The linked code scanner, the one that the local Advance Auto Parts uses as a customer service, WILL read the transmission codes.

Got the Borg Warner solenoid pack for $180ish from Advance (had a bit of a run around the county to a number of stores but they ended up getting it to me) could have been cheaper from the web with a promo code too, but we had to have her running by Monday.

It wasn't hard to do, the most difficult part was removing the bracket holding the battery holder to the sidewall.

Also FYI: a 1 inch deep socket for impact wrenches fits well on the speed sensor to remove.

Ez breezy fix:

1. Remove air cleaner hood and box.
2. Remove battery
3. Remove battery tray (5 10mm if I recall)
4. Remove bracket holding tray to sidewall 4x 15mm in awkward spot need a number of extensions to get.
5. Mark and remove tranny cooler lines. Mine had the squeezy style hose retention clips. Plug these lines.
6. Remove cable from speed sensor.
7. Remove speed sensor
8. Remove 3x 12mm hold down bolts. These are long.
9. Have your pan below at this point, your gonna spill some fluid.
10. Break the old solenoid free. I tapped from below, might be able to just yank it.
11. CLEAN the area. This spot is DIRTY. I had a bunch of mud and gunk and sand everywhere and I know some dirt might have got in :/
12. The tranny will constantly seep fluid for a while now, just keep wiping it away while you clean the gasket material off. I used a narrow painter chisel. Flathead screwdriver would work too if you were careful not to gouge. This took a little time.

I'll stop here because I don't want a 13 step procedure (I'm weird like that). And installation is the reverse of removal. I had a little bit of an issue with the RPL part, typical of Advance Auto obtained parts. The casting was about 1/4" too short for one of the holddown bolts so I needed to get some washers on one of the bolts. It's possible that sand or gunk got in the hole too, but no worries and no leaks. I can't fathom how crappy it would have been to bust open the bolt hole on the tranny by forcing it.