PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2006 Pt Cruiser inner tie rods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2011, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Pt Cruiser inner tie rods

I have popping noise coming from the left side of my PT. I have inspected the tie rods and notice that the inner tie rod is the problem.

Has anyone replace these inner tie rods before on their PT's before that can give me any tips? I know I am going to need a special tool to remove the inner tie rod, but should I replace both the inner and the outer tie rods on both sides since I'm already doing the job?
Old 28 May 2011, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Pt Cruiser inner tie rods

Odd, I went through the parts catalogs and the service manual and not much is mentioned about the inner tie rod, other than for adjusting and alignment of the front end. The OEM svc manual states that the inner tie rod end is part of the steering system itself and there is no explanation on it's removal, only the outer end. Are you sure it's the inner end that's bad??

To remove the tie rod all you need is a remover tool, I have the long bar that you use in most cars but you can also use the Mopar tool, looks easier than my long bar trying to fit it under the car. Here's the Mopar tool:

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 29 May 2011, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey thanks, I know it's strange that is the only thing that came up. Yes the noise is coming from the inner tie rod. I was under my PT and had my brother turn the steering wheel until I heard the noise again. I placed my hand on the boot when he turned the steering wheel and felt the inner tie rod pop.
Old 29 May 2011, 10:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I already saw two PT's with this same problem you are the third...I guess it's becoming a common problem
Old 01 Jun 2011, 10:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There was a thread that discussed this- Search
Old 02 Jun 2011, 02:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did do a search but no one ever said if they ever finished the job or stated what trouble they ran into. That is why I am asking again.
Old 02 Jun 2011, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'll bite here. I did em all. Firestone wouldn't touch wifes car for alignment and wanted to rape her for $1500, and replace struts too LOL.

Outer is simple. one bolt holds it to the knuckle, pop it out with a board+ hammer or a rubber mallet, something non-destructive, or just hit it with a sledge if you don't care. Theres a locknut on the backside of the outer TRE. Back that off and now start twisting the outer, while holding the inner.

At this point while you hold the outer TRE - you can tell if the inner is bad or good. Just pull on the thing. Its in a ball in socket joint and there should be NO play whatsoever. If you can move it at all in and out the inner is shot.

The inners require the tube style tool linked elsewhere, or found in my tool closet available for sale or rent. Its 3 set screws set in the end of a tube. Given more time I could build it out of exhaust tube and set screws myself. Other folks found enough room for vice grips. The inner is loctited from the factory so if they've never been done - gotta hit it hard to break it free. I honestly have no idea how the tool pictured above could work for the inners, I think that might be to replace the hammer for the outers.

Since you gotta pull the outers to get to the inners and they are so cheap, go ahead and get outers too.

Your alignment is already fairly well shot with bad inners, so it isn't as critical to replace the outers with the exact number of turns.

Search youtube for outer tierod end replacement for videos on how to get that part done simply. Its very easy. Count the turns as you get the outer off, and put the new one on with the same number of turns.

You WILL need an alignment after.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a lot! I all ready received my tool from eBay just going to get the money together so I can get all the parts. Thanks again I really did ot want to do the job if nobody else has attempted to do it first.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 10:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you doing all this work please use good parts, like Moog.
Here is a link for the outer tie rods for $30.33 and the inners for $41.99 with free next day delivery
BTW, I used this company all the time.

http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/veh...steering-parts