Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top Motor Mount Completed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2011, 05:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Top Motor Mount Completed!

Well, I saved about $600.00 (compared to the dealer estimate) by installing my top motor mount myself.

I purchased the motor mount at Auto Zone for 30-some-odd bucks. It was a Duralast and seemed to be made quite well (the rubber was a bit stiffer than the busted OEM I took out).

I have a 2003 Limited non-turbo, and the A/C lines were square in the middle over the top of the mount (unlike the turbos and some later non-turbos). However, last week I attempted to remove the old mount by pushing the A/C lines to the left ... as much as I dared. I was told this could be done--no matter what year non-turbo. Well, when it comes to working around expensive items on my cars, I'm a bit on the conservative side. I mean, how much could I push those A/C lines over without rupturing one, or both? With the bracket still attached to the mount (strut), and after turning and twisting for about a half hour, pushing the A/C lines as much as I dared, I decided to go another route the following day off.

Someone on the forum said to simply remove the headlight and the strut would practically jump out the hole where the headlight was. That genius was absolutely correct!

The procedure for removing the headlight is a bit time-consuming (about an hour), but with the light removed there is plenty of room to remove and install the upper motor mount (strut).

I ruined two of those stupid plastic push-in fasteners, taking them off, but I bought a pack of twelve for a few bucks, and now all is well with the world ....

Tim
Old 28 May 2011, 05:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Top Motor Mount Completed!

Congrats.....but $600? I've heard $150 as a common estimate for having a dealership replacing your mount. I did it on my friend's 2005 non-turbo the same way as I do it on my turbo, wiggle the motor mount between the A/C lines.

Make sure you replace that lower mount as well. Having that one broken mount means your second mount was doing alot more work than it should and probably broke in the process.
Old 28 May 2011, 05:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

K-9, the dealer said he had to discharge the R-24, then remove the A/C lines to get to the mount. That was why he wanted so much, he said. I said, "Good-bye" ....

As far as pushing the A/C lines out of the way, I attempted it, but decided a little extra work (removing the headlight) was the best way for me to go.

Tim
Old 28 May 2011, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The dealers are absolutely right about discharging the AC lines. That is the proper procedure that Chrysler demands. That is what the pricing guide tells the service writers to charge. As for the techs, following procedure is not "always" done.

My shop charges $170 for upper and lower mount installation (parts not included).
Old 28 May 2011, 10:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
K-9, the dealer said he had to discharge the R-24, then remove the A/C lines to get to the mount. That was why he wanted so much, he said. I said, "Good-bye" ....

As far as pushing the A/C lines out of the way, I attempted it, but decided a little extra work (removing the headlight) was the best way for me to go.

Tim
A bit extreme.

The headlight-method is a popular one when one can't manage around the A/C lines, too bad the dealership doesn't use this approach.

As for the lower mount, no one should pay to get that changed.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I never removed the headlight to change it on my wife's N/A.. IMO is just a waist of time
Old 28 May 2011, 10:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I never removed the headlight to change it on my wife's N/A.. IMO is just a waist of time
It's what I tried to explain on the thread I created and the video I made and posted.

Headlight removal not necessary at all. Removing and discharging the A/C system and recharging it again just to replace a mount you'll soon break again? Geez....I've got a bridge one can buy while they're at it.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You're right Kawizx9r....
Old 29 May 2011, 12:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Well anyway Tim which ever way you fixed it "nice job"

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 29 May 2011, 09:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I won't defend my method. I did it the way a lay person would--one who would rather take the high road instead of the low road. For instance, I use an inch-pound torque wrench on nuts and bolts that require very little torque. Some on here don't. I have the wrench, so I'd rather be safe than sorry when tightening thermostat housing cove bolts, upper manifold bolts, etc.

For those who read this thread, the ones who don't have a turbo--and if you think you might ruin an expensive part(s) while changing over a top motor mount (strut), then you can simply remove the headlight unit and make it easy on yourself.

I have seen the video posted on here about the remvoal of the top strut. It shows a turbo model, where the A/C lines are not in the way. An easy job! I've also seen another video on You Tube where the guy actually pulls his A/C lines to the far right (toward the timing belt) in order to pull the mount. He does this by strapping it it to the driver's side wheel well. In this last case, the guy never really shows how he gets the bracket off the old strut, before he pulls the thing. But he lost my interest when I saw how distorted the A/C lines were bending, anyway.

Some on here claim to have pulled top struts by pushing the A/C lines over toward the left fender. I believe that they did. But I haven't really wrenched on cars for a good 15 years, or so; and that was when I worked on VW's. If I blew it on a part then, it was no big deal. Parts were cheap.

I've have my A/C rebuilt completely, once, and had other work done on it another time. Both times it was not cheap (although the first was under warranty). I won't take any chances of blowing it in that region again.

So if you're a gentleman-farmer-mechanic like me, just go ahead and pull the stupid light.

Tim