PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie - Change Engine Mounts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2011, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie - Change Engine Mounts?

Hi All,
I have been perusing the forums, and they are a great wealth of information. I need to change my upper and lower engine mounts. I saw this thread, which is great:
06 Motor Mount Replacement Save $$$
I have a 2005 non GT PT Cruiser. Realistically, it's my first car. I have never really gotten in and tinkered around "under the hood", with the exception of changing some bulbs and fuses and things. But, I love the idea of getting better at things like this. I have some friends I can borrow some things from, like the wrenches and jacks and stuff. But, would this be too ambitious a project to take on for a first timer?
I would probably clear a saturday to do it, to give myself enough time. Bad idea?
Old 30 May 2011, 11:57 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie - Change Engine Mounts?

Welcome to the forum....The "motor mounts" are a fairly easy job but when I do it, I don't remove the right wheel or the headlight. You can just put the car on ramps and remove the shield and lower mount from underneath and since you have a GT, you have plenty of room to remove the upper mount without removing the headlight.
BTW.... Is your car automatic? Where you from? Color? Pictures? Here we love to know a lot about new members
Old 30 May 2011, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, wasn't super clear. It's not a GT. I would probably go in through the headlight, because I am not comfortable moving the AC stuff.

It's a 2005 silver PT. I actually bought it at an auction. Besides having to get a computer changed that was causing the engine light to go on, I have had very few problems with it. I am at almost 100 000 miles, and I also need to get the timing belt changed. I am trying to find a mechanic who will do both. The quote I got at the dealership to do both was $2500. I found someone who said they would do both, parts and labor for $1000. The problem is, I am not sure if he has ever worked on a PT, and I hear the timing belt is a bit of a hassle.

Anyways, if I could do it on my own, I would love to start tinkering more.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah sorry,you are not a GT...anyways I don't take it out either with a Non turbo.. If you are going to do the timing belt get them swapped there.
Old 30 May 2011, 04:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Roth, the lower mount is prettty easy to do. Google in PTCruiser motor mount removal ... and find a You Tube video that walks you through it. I just did my upper mount and checked the lower. The lower had been replaced by the dealer a while back and it looked fine, so I didn't waste time or money on it.

You are an admitted novice, and your car is not a Turbo. So you have A/C lines in your way. I may be wrong, but some years of non-turbo PT's seem to have enough room to push the A/C lines toward the passenger-side fender, as you withdraw the upper mount (strut). My 2003 Limited non-turbo did not seem to have enough room without me pushing the A/C lines so far toward the fender that I felt as if I might damage one of those lines. So I removed the headlight assembly and pulled the upper strut through the hole. that made it easy, sleazy!

You NEED a good set of jack stands if you're going to pull the headlight, though, because you have to remove the passenger-side wheel to do that. When I say jack stands ... I mean two. Don't use a single jack stand on the side you're working on, only. It's dangerous! Jack up and place jack stands under both FRONT sides only of the car (more stable while wrenching). I also leave the scissor jacks (I use two that I borrow from other cars) under the jacking points, as well as, the jackstands, for extra safe support. There is room on the PT's jacking area for a stand and a scissor jack on each FRONT side of the car.

You also need a hydralic floor jack (2 and a half ton will do) to support the UPPER part of the engine when removing these struts (and a small block of wood to put between the jack and the FRONT part of the engine). Just jack high enough to support the engine and no more.

Before starting, Google in "How to remove a PT Cruiser headlight". You'll find a You Tube video on the issue. However, you don't need to remove the entire bumper to remove the headlight assembly--just push down a bit on the passenger side. The guy in the video was replacing both headlight assemblies, so he had to do a bit more work. Follow his video, but since you didn't remove the whole bumper cover, just push down on the bumper cover (after removing the screws in the video, of course), to get the headlight out of its hole. Don't push down a lot on the bumper cover.

You need a 18mm and a 15?mm socket, and a ratchet (use a 3/4 inch instead of 1/2 inch ... the bolts are fairly tight). The 18mm blots are torqued at 83 FOOT pounds. The 15 (I think it's 15)mm bolts are 43 FOOT pounds.

I bought a Duralast strut at Auto Zone for $30-something bucks. It's a bit stiffer (which is better) than the OEM strut, and will cause a bit more vibration at the steering wheel at idle--but it will last a lot longer.

Hey--my daughter wants me to go to the movies now. I'll be back later.

Tim
Old 30 May 2011, 04:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Nice instructions mdfrodolives , but you'll make it too complicated my friend ....you can just drive the car on ramps and you don need to support the engine with a jack because they are just torque struts, NOT motor mounts so they don't support the engine ...
I guess tomorrow I'll take 15 minutes and I'll make a video of how to remove the upper one from an N/A without removing the headlight....but if I do it you guys have to nominate me for an Oscar...LOL
Old 30 May 2011, 07:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would love to see that video--and so would a lot of others, I'm sure. The one with the removal of the upper strut (on the Turbo) was great. But the A/C lines are really not in the way at all on that model.

As far as jacking up the engine a tad to support the front of the engine: the OP says he wants to change out both the upper and lower struts at the same time. Doing both at the same time would off-center the mounting of the struts in relationship to the engine. Chrysler's Shop Manual says to loosen and adjust both the upper and lower struts together so that you have 119 mm (or 4.70 inches) from the center of the back upper motor mount bracket bolt, to center of the first hole on the strut-tower bracket (that's the little hole in back of and to the right of the strut-tower 18mm bolt). Without using a jack to jack up the front of the engine (just a tad) to achieve this distance, you may not have optimum "give" for your engine to move back and forth.

My distance was close enough to 4.70 inches to make any adjustment unnecessary.

Now some may think this adjustment is a waste of time. But I wanted the rubber in the struts to do what they were designed to do--give and take. Without the adjustment, which centers the struts, you might end up with just "give"--and no "take"--especially if you bought struts with more serious rubber than the OEM's. In other words, if you squish all the rubber forward (or backward), then you're going to end up with more vibration at idle than is necessary.

It's no big whup, but my wife already complained that she feels more vibration in the steering wheel at idle (due to stiffer rubber than OEM); so she apparently wants to get the most out of my struts, so to speak.

I'll save my opinion on grill, headlight and partial removal of the front bumper cover--after I see the new video. Bring it on and save us Chicken-Littles' from having to mess with the headlight (not that it was all that difficult to remove).

By the way, if anyone tries removal of the wheel splash shield to remove the headlight, then go ahead and buy (in advance) a packet of those push-in plastic fasteners. The dealer wants $4.50 each for them (you'll need at least two), but AutoZone sells a pack of 12 for 3 bucks and change. Those pin fasteners are not meant to be used more than once, unless you're the kind of airplane mechanic who uses duct tape on the wings ....

Tim
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can I start the engine without the right motor mounts?

I'm adjusting the timing belt on my 2006 PT cruiser. I've already got it wrong once and had to take passenger side motor mounts and motor mount plate back off. It's a huge pain to keep taking these off and putting them back on.

Can I safely support the engine and start it with the motor mounts and motor mount plate OFF to check the timing. I would like to make sure the timing is correct before I put everything back together this time. Thanks.
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Can I start the engine without the right motor mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawicket View Post
I'm adjusting the timing belt on my 2006 PT cruiser. I've already got it wrong once and had to take passenger side motor mounts and motor mount plate back off. It's a huge pain to keep taking these off and putting them back on.

Can I safely support the engine and start it with the motor mounts and motor mount plate OFF to check the timing. I would like to make sure the timing is correct before I put everything back together this time. Thanks.
Answered in the other thread.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com