PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Lights and interior lights stay on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2011, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog Lights and interior lights stay on

Hi guys.

A day ago I came out from work and my battery was dead. I got a jump from a friend, and thought my battrery was bad, but on the way home I noticed the fog lights were on but the switch was pushed in. I could not turn them off. I disconnected the battery for the night. Next day my interior lights came on I can't turn them off!! So I pulled the fuses until I get this figured out. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Kevin.
Old 31 May 2011, 06:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Lights and interior lights stay on

chances are you need a new multifunction switch (mfs). do a search for mfs and you'll find quite a few posts with this same problem.
Old 31 May 2011, 06:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well I havent had the problem yet, but I have read other people have had their fogs stay on because of the MFS.

Here's something to read.

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
Old 31 May 2011, 09:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Also some people have noticed if you close the hatch firmly it will turn off the interior lights; If not you can do it from your headlight ( mutifunction) switch.
Old 05 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Fog Lights and interior lights stay on

We just had this happen to our 05. Irritated because we just put in a new battery. Husband tried to remove fuse, but car made a strange clicking sound, so he replaced it. Had to disconnect the battery cable to get them off. Lamps were glowing orange, my dad said that could be the sign of electrical feedback. Hopefully nothing serious...

We have had several problems with our car, one being the battery life. My car had gone dead several times on the old battery, not sure what the cause was. Once I left the headlights on while at a pharmacy drive thru. They did take a while to finish my order so I shut the car off, when I was ready to go, the car was dead. I had to be pushed out of the way. Also, A/C didn't last long. Has to be refilled every year, must be a leak somewhere. Headed to the dealership to find out what's wrong with the lights asap...
Old 06 Jun 2011, 12:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Please let us know what you find out.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All,

I'm trying to track down I problem that's causing me some irritation. A quick search of The Google brought me to this excellent site as a PT resource.

About a year ago, I had the same fog light problem the OP talked about on my 2002 PT. They would stay on, regardless of the switch location on the MFS. I pulled the fuse and didn't think too much about it.

Today I came out to a completely dead battery. I jumped it and did all the normal door/light checks when you have a drained battery. I drove around and pulled back in to the parking lot when I noticed that my lights were on, despite the fact that the switch on the MFS was in the off position. I don't have an auto on/off sensor for the lights.

I was able to get the lights to turn off by moving the turn signal arm up and down a couple of times w the car turned off.

I followed Morkeste's link to reh8838's post on repairing and cleaning the contacts for the fog lights. And that makes perfect sense to me on what my fog light issue was.

Finally, I get to my question: What's the forum's opinion on my headlight issue? Is it similar or related to the contacts in the MFS?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Ken

P.S. I tried searching the forum for my specific issue and this was as close as I could get. If this is a separate issue, I apologize for the thread jack and would appreciate being directed to the appropriate thread and or forum.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure of your question. You already know of the bad MFS and that controls the interior lights, fog lights and headlights. If you have a problem with any of them, replace or repair the MFS.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'm not sure of your question. You already know of the bad MFS and that controls the interior lights, fog lights and headlights. If you have a problem with any of them, replace or repair the MFS.
I don't know that the the MFS switch affects the headlights (as I've described above) or the interior lights. Hence my question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken's Original Post
What's the forum's opinion on my headlight issue? Is it similar or related to the contacts in the MFS?
So I'll ask again in a different way: The problem that I currently have with my headlights seems to be very similar to the problem with the fog lights. It seems like replacing the MFS will resolve the issue. What say the board?
Old 26 Mar 2012, 02:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8soccer View Post
We just had this happen to our 05. Irritated because we just put in a new battery. Husband tried to remove fuse, but car made a strange clicking sound, so he replaced it. Had to disconnect the battery cable to get them off. Lamps were glowing orange, my dad said that could be the sign of electrical feedback. Hopefully nothing serious...

We have had several problems with our car, one being the battery life. My car had gone dead several times on the old battery, not sure what the cause was. Once I left the headlights on while at a pharmacy drive thru. They did take a while to finish my order so I shut the car off, when I was ready to go, the car was dead. I had to be pushed out of the way. Also, A/C didn't last long. Has to be refilled every year, must be a leak somewhere. Headed to the dealership to find out what's wrong with the lights asap...
Same problem here, same year Cruiser...Firestone charged me $500 to fix it. Same strange clicking, same battery dead. They told me they needed a whole new something or other and seemed genuine. So I approved the fix. Dummy me.