Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
noise in steering wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default noise in steering wheel

Don't usually post my pt problems, just deal with them and that's that, however, this one is odd. Lately there's been a noise in the steering wheel. After checking it out discovered it's a rubbing noise that happens every time the wheel is turned, hasn't happened all this time.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: noise in steering wheel

Try this:

stering wheel noise

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 01:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

thanks a lot for the link, it was very helpful. Will probably be fixing it ourselves since the dealer we bought from has never agreed to fix anything so far, although we still have warranty remaining.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Take it to a different dealer if it is under factory warranty still. It shouldn't matter. I hope that is the last business you do with that outfit. Would be for me, after I war dialed Chrysler themselves and made a big stinking complaint.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Thanks for link, seems there can be different causes, never had this issue until now.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor51 View Post
Take it to a different dealer if it is under factory warranty still. It shouldn't matter. I hope that is the last business you do with that outfit. Would be for me, after I war dialed Chrysler themselves and made a big stinking complaint.
Just gave up calling them and even asking, so we fix it all ourselves now.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Big comment here:

"STUFF MOVES OVER TIME"

That being said, there are things that you should look into if you ever hit a really hard bump, pothole, or go off-roading. One I've found is that all the funky stuff in and around the steering column tends to shift, as do all the cables and hoses and lines behind the center console. I had a weird noise on mine, must have hit the plastic collar around the top of the column with my knee or something, it was pushed up and rubbing on the lower edge of the airbag cover. Freaking me out. Took 5 minutes or less to fix.

Now, once a year when I do my spring cleaning, I get out my OEM service manual, open to torque values and go over every nut, bolt and screw that I can find. Seems to be a good idea, mainly because I seem to find a few missing plastic plugs every year, so now I've bought a stock of them. I check every hose, line, tube, etc. Constantly adding tie wraps on lines, etc,, to keep stuff from rattling. Even inside my door panels.

It's worth the exercise. Me, here in the next couple of weeks, since I'm unemployed, I'm pulling all the seats, carpets and all plastic liner parts. Then going to take my crate of eDead85 and sound deaden my entire PT. Everywhere! This will also allow me to really do some spring cleaning. Going to have the carpets cleaned while they are out, condition the leather seats, lube every available lube point, etc.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Big comment here:

"STUFF MOVES OVER TIME"

That being said, there are things that you should look into if you ever hit a really hard bump, pothole, or go off-roading. One I've found is that all the funky stuff in and around the steering column tends to shift, as do all the cables and hoses and lines behind the center console. I had a weird noise on mine, must have hit the plastic collar around the top of the column with my knee or something, it was pushed up and rubbing on the lower edge of the airbag cover. Freaking me out. Took 5 minutes or less to fix.

Now, once a year when I do my spring cleaning, I get out my OEM service manual, open to torque values and go over every nut, bolt and screw that I can find. Seems to be a good idea, mainly because I seem to find a few missing plastic plugs every year, so now I've bought a stock of them. I check every hose, line, tube, etc. Constantly adding tie wraps on lines, etc,, to keep stuff from rattling. Even inside my door panels.

It's worth the exercise. Me, here in the next couple of weeks, since I'm unemployed, I'm pulling all the seats, carpets and all plastic liner parts. Then going to take my crate of eDead85 and sound deaden my entire PT. Everywhere! This will also allow me to really do some spring cleaning. Going to have the carpets cleaned while they are out, condition the leather seats, lube every available lube point, etc.
Hit a pothole last year that took my tire out and never thought of that. Will consider a regular PT spring cleaning and check the rest. Very regular about wiping my seats down with the leather wipes though.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a rattle in my driver's door right now. Waiting until I get the time to strip the car for the eDead event, then I'll fix it. Sure it's from my wreck, and probably knocked something loose!