Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
check engine light flashing car misfiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default check engine light flashing car misfiring

Hello. This may sound strange but here we go.
I am selling a 2004 pt cruiser 5 speed. It needs work, ball joints, windshield, 02 sensor. Anyway, up until a week ago I have been driving this to work and back 100km or 60 mi. The check engine light is on which parts source has determined is 02 sensor. It still runs alright but not great. A mechanic type savvy purchaser showed up tonight an took the car for test drive. He was only gone 3 to 5 minutes. I did not got with him as I trusting type and he looked okay.
He came back parked it and basically said he changed his mind. I go to move the car and now the check engine light is flashing, car is misfiring, not idling and stalling. It has never acted this way.
My question: what could a mechanic savvy type person do in a few minutes to make a car run like crap.
The only reason I can see is if I list the car alot cheaper as I can't fix it and maybe his friend buys it or whatever. It is odd that the car runs like crap right after this guy drives it! any ideas?
Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: check engine light flashing car misfiring

Just do the "key dance" to find out what codes you have. Put the key on the ignition and turn it to the "on" position ( without turning the engine), then off , then on , then off, then on and keep it like that until you read the codes from the speedometer and it says "done"...Then give us the codes you find and we can try to see what's wrong with it.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 06:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the early reply! okay here goes with the codes
p300,301,302,303,304,137 and 138
thx
Old 04 Jun 2011, 08:25 am
Dedicated Cruiser

300 to 304 are misfire codes and 137,138 are O2 sensor codes.. Maybe the oxygen sensor is bad and making the car to misfire.
Here is another post about it:
P0138 HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
Old 04 Jun 2011, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

IF you used a aftermarket sensor that may be the problem. PT's don't like aftermarket ones, only OEM's.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Jun 2011, 09:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I would check the plug wires and make sure they are on nice and tight.I would also check the vacuum lines.I know someone who test drove an old Toyota truck that ran great,when he left the sellers house.He drove down the road,popped the hood and switched some vacuum lines around so it would run rough.When he got back from the test drive he told the seller it started running rough and the seller sold it to him for a lot less than he was originally asking.I'm not saying that's what happened with yours but you never know when your dealing with strangers.NEVER let someone test drive your car alone.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. How would I determine which sensor , the upstream or downstream is faulty ?
Old 04 Jun 2011, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure how to tell, have you changed any of the sensors?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Jun 2011, 10:16 am
Regular Cruiser

When my upstream O2 sensor went bad, it would barely idle when I first started it up. Unplug the electrical connector from the O2 sensor (look down under the hood on the exhaust). You can run the car like this until you replace the sensor, and it will run okay, but it will run extremely rich.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 10:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by burker View Post
Thanks for the replies. How would I determine which sensor , the upstream or downstream is faulty ?
Read the link I posted. It says : "I did some searching and it seams that you might want to change the second/downstream 02 sensor. The downstream 02 sensor is located on the left hand side of the CAT. No special tools needed."

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 04 Jun 2011 at 10:26 am. Reason: Typo again