Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power mirrors -Inside or exterior Mod?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Power mirrors -Inside or exterior Mod?

Because Trump
rcktpwrd and Badglas like this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:54 am.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Power mirrors -Inside or exterior Mod?

"Exterior".....unless they are sooooo adjustible as to fold into your lap!

(Then turn the heater up full blast!)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 07 Nov 2012, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Power mirrors -Inside or exterior Mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
I spliced into the wiring at the rear defroster switch, ran the wire to fuse #18 (pin 18) slot. The fuse #18 (pin 38) slot then got the needed plug and wiring that ran (spliced) to the left and right side connectors for the door harness.

Now the heated exterior mirror function works like an OEM installation.
This might be a little bit old but I'm hoping you can help with a heated mirror question from your install. I want to put heated mirrors on and only have power ones now. When I check the fuse block, 18 has a fuse with black/white coming in and 2 light blue/yellow (LB/Y) going out. Above and outboard of the fuse block is a connector with all the wires that go out to the door. It appears one of the LB/Y wires end there and my in door connector does not have one, although it has a ground wire that appears to be unused. It got dark before I could test all the electrical but my question is; do you remember if there is also another connector on the passenger side before the wire bundle goes out to the door similar to the one I found on the drivers side? I'm trying to get a clue before I tear into the passenger side and find out there isn't and then have to try and track the LB/Y wire from the fuse box. I suspect the other LB/Y wire ends at a connector as it does on the driver side. This may make for a somewhat easy mod to get to heated mirrors for me if I only need a wire from those connectors and out the door.

Anybody else with experience with this and ideas or suggestions?
Old 07 Nov 2012, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

What year car?
Old 07 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, 2005
Old 07 Nov 2012, 11:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:53 am.
Old 08 Nov 2012, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Looks like you will have an easy install. You won't have to run wires through the door harness elbow.
Is your car base, touring, limited or GT?
It's a limited. Your picture looked like it had the right side connector hanging out but I was not sure. I'm hoping that the "extra" ground wire can be moved and used, if not I may still have to run a wire and put in pins. Might not get around to doing it for a couple of weeks but will try to take some pics for others with questions.
Old 08 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:53 am.
Old 09 Nov 2012, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The factory power mirrors on it now appear to just be grounded through the frame. While the ground wire goes through the door it ends at the plug in the door with no female spade/wire on the mirror side of the connector. It will be a few weeks before I can get into it further but I may run the wire anyway so I can run another wire to put a turn signal mod on.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 01:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Red face Re: Power mirrors -Inside or exterior Mod?

Quote:
The 2004 base model that I purchased had manual adjust exterior mirrors. When I discovered that the wiring harness had the necessary wiring and connectors for power mirrors, I decided to replace the manual mirrors.
A trip to the salvage yard supplied the needed interior mirror switch and the two trim pieces (without manual lever holes) for the inside of the door.
Shopping on eBay got me the exterior power mirrors that also have the heated mirror glass function with folding (not power) design. When I installed the mirrors I discovered that the car lacked the wiring necessary for the heated mirror function. Today I was able to add the wiring to make them functional for the future.
Salvage yard trips supplied the needed male and female metal connectors for the mirror connectors, the C204-left & C205-right under dash connectors and the missing fuse box plugs.
I spliced into the wiring at the rear defroster switch, ran the wire to fuse #18 (pin 18) slot. The fuse #18 (pin 38) slot then got the needed plug and wiring that ran (spliced) to the left and right side connectors for the door harness.
I wasn't difficult to pop out the harness boot from the body and door, pull all of that door harness into the door and out of the hole for the radio speaker.
I soldered the correctly colored male and female spade connectors to extra wire, ran and taped the wire to the harness, pushed the spades into the appropriate connector slots, reassembled it all, and replaced the previously removed interior dash panels.
Now the heated exterior mirror function works like an OEM installation.
Hello,
I have a 2008 Base PT Cruiser and have installed 2001 power headed mirrors. I removed the manual adjust mirrors and ran the missing door wiring back to the new donor 2001 PT power mirror switch. Now my problem starts as follows:
1- How do I power the heated portion?
Can I tap power at the fuse panel (bank #25 DB/GY) with a add on fuse tap or an in line fuse tap from wiring after the defroster switch?
2- How do I feed power the switch?
Again can I tap power at the fuse panel (bank #6 RD) with a add on fuse tap?
3- How do I add the lighted switch function?
I guess I can go with an unfused wire tap power from the OR/GY Driver panel lamps.

Note:
a- There are existing 10A fuses in both banks.
b- The attached picture shows what I've done at the switch, the green is for the fused heated circuit current dry run through the firewall to the fuse panel in the engine bay.
c- I have not added the power mirror feed wire to the switch or the grounds.

Link for the add on fuse tap:
Small ATM FUSE TAP ADD ON DUAL CIRCUIT ADAPTER AUTO CAR AUTO TERMINALS +15A FUSE | eBay
Link for the in fused line tap: 20-Amp Inline Blade-Type Fuse Holder #zTS #:2265098 | eBay
Link for unfused wire tap:
(50) Scotchlok Instant Tap Wire Connectors 18-14 Gauge | eBay

Sorry if my questions are dumb but the wiring part has got me . Wiring is not my stong suit.
Thanx's very much in advance.

See attachment picture of what I have currently wired: Fingers crossed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewWiringAtSwitch.jpg (63.3 KB, 29 views)