PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advice from the experts - time to give up on my PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2011, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need advice from the experts - time to give up on my PT?

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with 144,000 miles on it. Over the weekend, I was pulling into my driveway and it died. Looked at the codes and it reported P0016. Replaced the camshaft position sensor but that didn't fix it. Looked and saw that the timing belt wasn't even moving.

Had it towed to a repair shop and the said that the timing belt was shredded and thought that two of the valves are bent, and the manager there gave me a price of around $2k to replace the timing belt component kit, water pump, refill antifreeze, recharge A/C, send the head out to be machined. Not sure if the head was cracked and if it is, that will of course be more. Spoke to the mechanic who had initially looked at it (he never got the actual go ahead to do the work from the manager who was gone for the day) and he was unaware of the various quotes for the price. He then said that what he would do was to replace the timing belt, check for compression, and see if it would even turn before doing the water pump and all of the other other stuff. (still looking at around $1,100 for all of that). He said that there was like a 60 /40 percent chance that the valves weren't bent.

I put 15,600 miles from commuting to and from work each year.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 08:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Need advice from the experts - time to give up on my PT?

What is the question? You neglected to do the recommended maintenance at 100k miles and don't know what to do now?
Well, when the timing belt goes while you are driving it at high speeds, usually the valves get bent... You just need to get the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley replaced and hope the valves are not bent... then they can check for compression
Old 06 Jun 2011, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Forgot to add the part about the timing belt having been replaced at 97,621 miles. As I said, the car died pulling into the driveway so it did not occur at high speeds.

Question was whether I should pony up the $2-3k for the work to be done again with possible bent valves, cracked heads, etc. or just cut my loses and get a different vehicle.

Last edited by SHStormont; 06 Jun 2011 at 08:59 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well think of it this way.

Your looking at 1200$ to have the belts, water pump, tensioner, etc replaced.

So for 800$ more they are going to remove the head and send it to a machine shop and fix it correctly. Plus fix your AC, and you get a new head gasket, valve cover gasket. I would have it done if you can afford it.

Have you done maintenance on the car? If the rest of the car is in good shape I would do it. also do you trust this shop?

I would not half azz it and have them slap it together and hope for the best to save 800$ also you dont put the belt on and then take it apart to put the the water pump in since the pump and tesnioner and belts are cheap, it is all labor on this job.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 06 Jun 2011, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do take good care of it, have followed the schedules, and have documented all of the work. I do trust the shop (go there all the time), but I think there is some sort of disconnect this time around, like why did the manager tell me that two valves are bent but the engine apparently hadn't even been opened up and the mechanic that was working on it didn't know about the bent valves. Unless I misunderstood, the $2k would include the price to have the two bent valves re-machined and it would be more if the head is cracked. Trying to get a handle on how much it would be to rebuild the head. Going to call them tomorrow and find out more.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well here is my 2 cents I don't think the head is bad---I don't think there is anything bent with just over 50,000 on the timing belt that is way early but things happen

so my suggestion is do the belt do a compression check and then decide yes its expensive but

there is no way to know if any thing is bent with out a compression check and or pulling it apart
No matter what any one says this is a NON INTERFERENCE ENGINE yes the valves can hit each other if it goes at a high RPM

you were pulling into a drive so unless you were doing like 70mph I think you r safe

to redo a head is around $500 for all the values and to plane it as long as there are no cracks

so your question is do I feel lucky and take a $1000 gamble

I would ask how much to go back and do the water pump if the compression check is good
Old 07 Jun 2011, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHStormont View Post
He then said that what he would do was to replace the timing belt, check for compression, and see if it would even turn before doing the water pump and all of the other other stuff. (still looking at around $1,100 for all of that). He said that there was like a 60 /40 percent chance that the valves weren't bent.

I put 15,600 miles from commuting to and from work each year.
That makes no sense - to do water pump later, he'd have to take timing belt off again.
What shape is the car in?
Suspension Okay? Body okay?
Remember, your car in present shape won't be worth much, and you'll only get a "beater" for $2,000.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

How do you bend valves on this thing? I was under the impression that it was a non-interference engine.
Old 07 Jun 2011, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
How do you bend valves on this thing? I was under the impression that it was a non-interference engine.
Non-interference means valves can't smack pistons, but they can hit each other.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jun 2011, 02:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
It has 2 cam shafts so when the belt breaks the valves can hit each other. A single camshaft non interference engine there would be no danger of bending valves.