PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spring/Shock/Opinion/Pics/Whatever You Got!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2011, 10:51 am
Banned

Exclamation Spring/Shock/Opinion/Pics/Whatever You Got!

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 09 Jul 2012 at 02:01 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 11:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Spring/Shock/Opinion/Pics/Whatever You Got!

In my opinion the OEM shocks are not made for lowered cars because when you lower the car they are not damping on the height they were originally made for.
In the other hand, the blue Tokicos are made for lowered cars .
In my two PTs I tried Monroe Sensatrac (too bouncy ), OEM tokicos (too siff ) and blue Tokicos ( firm but nice )... first with Eibach springs and now with Goldline Super Slammmers.
You can just lower the back and try it, with the OEM shocks...if you don't like it you can change them later.

BTW...I'm going to try Eibach coilovers soon

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 08 Jun 2011 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 08 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Spring/Shock/Opinion/Pics/Whatever You Got!

Hey their Busa,

1.5" should give you a little better look without compromising the ride quality much, but keep in mind that whenever you lower a vehicle even a little you are in some form compressing the travel in your suspension which will feel a bit stiffer and different.

The lower you go, the bumpier and stiffer the ride as the less up and down travel in your suspension due to more and more compression on shorter springs. On a mild drop only in the rear you should only notice a slight difference in ride however keep in mind that if you haul anything heavy or have people often riding in the back, or ever want to tow a small trailer and so forth, your car may ultimately sit lower in the back than the front given the right circumstances, and you may notice a fair increase in bumpiness with decreased ride quality.

This is why most drop springs are progressively wound, and why its usually better to get shocks that are also shorter, and more designed to help dampen the offset from OEM ride quality to the stiffer, bumpier drop ride quality.

In my personal experience having been a long time fan of dropping everything I can drop from my rides to friends and beyond, most every time you start to get into altering suspensions, their is always a kind of compromise for looks. The only ways I have found to kinda start to offset that compromise for looks rule is usually expensive, and is still a delicate balance to get everything to sit and function just right.

I'm sure you have already most likely seen my ride 100 times, but here is my dropping insanity.

Please keep in mind this is not to deter you, scare you, or anything and everything in between. You are just working on a mild drop which is no biggie. I just want you to be aware of the ups and downs anytime you start to mess a bit with your suspension.

If you do go with dropping the rear, I would suggest doing the shocks as well. You won't regret it.

PS: Ya just can't beat an orange PT, can ya?

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 08 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm
Banned

Okay, can I just get the tokico shocks in the rear with the lowering springs, and leave the front suspension alone for the time being?

And Yes I have seen your Orange one alot of times!

If it were my vehicle, I would do the same as yours, but its my wifes.

I just bought the rims and tires
Old 08 Jun 2011, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a few shots - Tokico Blues shocks/struts & H&R sport springs (the silver one's from Germany). For me, it's a perfect drop.

This is one of my favorite shots - doing 55 into a 25 mph corner on the Tail of the Dragon - captured by killboy.com. Was doing a bit of tail dragging with 5 Corvettes and the photog couldn't believe I was keeping up with them....

This photo is from the day I did the drop, between this photo and the others there is no visibly noticeable settling, but realistically you can get up to a two inch settling over time, depending on the quality of the springs. The H&R's are some highest quality, you can see in my second photo how thick the spring material is. Very little settling.

Now, I'm 6'2" and over 300 pounds, so I may be pushing it down a bit too. lol
Old 08 Jun 2011, 05:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

When I lowered the back of mine with the Eibach's I left the stock shocks on it and it had a smooth ride.It was real close to stock ride quality.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
When I lowered the back of mine with the Eibach's I left the stock shocks on it and it had a smooth ride.It was real close to stock ride quality.
Can you post some before and after pics.

H&R says on one site 1.5, then 2.0 on another site for the same model number.

Id hate to be lower in the back than the front.

Thx
Old 09 Jun 2011, 08:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Chromenut,
how does your car ride?
I just got a set of the H&R springs and now I need to get shocks/struts to go with them.

Most people seem to recommend the Blues, but I have also heard that they are a bit on the firm side... I know that lowering springs will ride firmer but I don't want a harsh ride if that can be avoided.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com