Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT not responding...HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation PT not responding...HELP

I am a new owner of a 2002 PT Cruiser that has been sitting for a few months... The previous owner said when she last drove it, the car stalled and died on her and she was never able to get it restarted or figure the reason for it....
I changed the battery in the car and called my local Chrysler dealer, I gave them the VIN since the original owner ALSO lost the key, I had to get a new one made...I was told that this model does NOT require the SENTRY KEY and therefore have a simple key instead...
I have a video posted on youtube entitled PT Cruiser not starting HELP where it shows and gives the strange " hi-lo " buzzing tone when I remove the key from the ignition [URL="
Old 10 Jun 2011, 01:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: PT not responding...HELP

hey bud welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the problems. Do you know if the PT came with an alarm, either factory or after market? Do you see the check engine light when you try to turn on the car? How many mile's are one it?
Old 10 Jun 2011, 05:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, that definately sounds like an aftermarket alarm. Pop the lower trim panel underneath the steering column and see if there's any aftermarket wires tied into the wiring harness.

I assume she doesn't have the remote. For starter kill, one wire there is usually cut and then both feed into the alarm. Disconnect the aftermarket wiring and repair the cut wire.

That wouldn't be the reason it stalled on her but it should get the starter cranking again anyway and hopefully started.

Last edited by Floundering; 10 Jun 2011 at 05:30 am.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Stalling may have been because the timing belt broke, if it has more than 80,000 miles it should be changed as well as water pump, tensioner and belts.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Jun 2011, 08:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Stalling may have been because the timing belt broke, if it has more than 80,000 miles it should be changed as well as water pump, tensioner and belts.
That was my first thought as well, especially since it seems to have power.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 09:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Maybe thars why the key got lost, so you couldnt see what issue it was causing as to inquire about it and see that it could be something as big as e timing belt or god forbid bent valves if she was driving fast

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car has 98,000 miles displayed on the Odometer, and yes the check engine light does come on when I try to start it... As I had mentioned, she lost the key and when I went to the dealer, they told me that this one did NOT require the SENTRY key, but gave me the option of purchasing the remote which would have to be programmed....
The owner advised me she was on her way to the grocery store when it just died... I did ask her if there were any "strange or unusual" sounds when it died and she said no....
I will ask about and check for an aftermarket alarm and try the starter relay to see if that helps..... Thanks a MILLION you guys, we WILL stay in touch, hope to be enjoying our new PT SOON !!!!!!
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check the timing belt. When mine went out well below 80000 miles, I heard nothing. My car just simply shut itself down.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCantSeeYou View Post
Check the timing belt. When mine went out well below 80000 miles, I heard nothing. My car just simply shut itself down.
i agree with the other guys, you definitely want to check the timing belt.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

First do a key dance. Look for code. if it says just "done" you need too look for the non factory alarm. My 2001 buzzer does not sound like that. Thats why I think its after market stuff in there.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.