Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 front bumper/grille

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2005 front bumper/grille

I just got a 2005 pt convertible touring turbo. It was made 6/04. My lower grille is part of the bumper. I see some bumpers that are just bumpers and the lower grille is another piece to set in the lower bumper. Can someone till me what the difference is? Then can someone till me if I can use the bumper with the grille you add to the bumper? I like the grille one that you add to the bumper. I need a bumper because the bumper I have has crew holes from the plate. My car is light almond pkj. Looking for touch up paint also. Thanks xtreme cindy
Old 12 Jun 2011, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 front bumper/grille

Pictures of the front end would help!!! Most of us are visual!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jun 2011, 05:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i agree, i don't like to read, lol. Pictures please
Old 12 Jun 2011, 08:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi this is my car and the bumper I was talking about.Will look for the other grille. thanks xtreme cindy
Old 12 Jun 2011, 08:22 pm
Young Cruiser

pt front bumper.jpg trying to send the photo
Old 12 Jun 2011, 08:40 pm
Young Cruiser

this is the bumper that that the grille is added on.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 08:42 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Do you have a picture of the bumper that you want?Nevermind,you beat me to it.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 02:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 2005 front bumper/grille

Hey their xtreme,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiries. I have been way busy and needed to get a little time to do some more research on your question.

As far as your screw holes in your front bumper, I would try to locate a good mobile bumper repair service who would come to you and properly and professionally fix your bumper like new with no more holes, and then properly color matched and air brushed to perfection so you will never see where the repair work was done. This type of service is used all the time by car dealers to make minor repairs and the methods used work very well. Nice thing is its fairly inexpensive the mobile guys have little overhead and most often depending upon damage and time involved usually are in and out in an hour of two max and usually charge around $100.00 - $150.00. Compared to the overhead of a good body shop doing it, with a cost of around $300.00 to fix and fill, and re-shoot the entire front bumper.

Here is a good example of one of these types of services.

Mobile Bumper Repair | Ding & Dent Repair | Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino County

Should you try to fill and repaint your problem areas on your bumper with touch up paint, you will likely have issues with the paint being either too light, or more likely too dark by a minimum of 3 - 4 shades either way and may likely be very much noticeable. Unless custom mixed and shot via an airbrush, most paints used straight via the can even from a good boy and paint supply store will more than likely be off of the vehicles color. To get around this, most good body shops will shoot the entire bumper, and may likely blend the paint into surrounding areas like in your case I would blend at least into your front fenders, and possibly edge of your hood as well to gain enough surface area so it tricks the eye into not noticing the color difference. This is why I always try to recommend using a good mobile airbrush or bumper repair service to get the job done right using a full on clear / base paint system with proper acrylic enamel base, and acrylic urethane clear automotive type paint for a proper finish. The other issue you will face with touch up paint is on your metallic finish, you will most likely run in top the touch up paint metallic tending to clump up which will also be very noticeable and be a big draw for the eye to draw towards.

As for your question on a replacement front bumper/fascia with separate lower grille insert, I did quite a bit of research with my OEM Parts Distributors and your parts are a bit complicated.

I did manage to locate your lower grille insert which is a direct OE Replacement part# C015303 for $119.97 which includes my body shop discount.

The problem I keep running into is trying to find a good OEM replacement front bumper assembly without the molded in grille to take the OEM Insert you want. Most all replacements I have found are the ones like you currently have with the molded grille as all one piece. I went and asked all five of my body shop parts suppliers and found nothing on their National Network Database for both new OEM Replacements, nor used or reconditioned parts.

As for purchasing and trying to modify the chrome grille inserts, the only problem is that you need to completely remove the chrome from the urethane part. Chemicals may easily harm or eat into the urethane causing permanent damage if not handled just right thus rendering the part useless. Sanding the chrome coating off would also be a difficult task as well and may prove to have issues with proper paint adhesion as well.

I can tell you cost wise based on the info I have, if you were to just replace your current front end you have now which includes the already molded lower grille, with a brand new certified OEM replacement front bumper assembly with flat black bar cover should run you around $636.00 average from a multiple source listing.

You can pick up an aftermarket OEM knock off fron bumper assembly with molded grille off like Ebay fro around $250.00 - $450.00 without the crash bar cover, but please beware that most of these Factory reproduction parts are made of very poor quality, often made from way cheaper and thinner materials, and are often shipped already with minor cracks, imperfections, and most of the time are so far out of alignment that it what you save in initial cost of the cheaper parts you will make up for in wasted time on behalf of the body shop trying to rework the cheaper parts to somewhat fit the car which even then can sometimes be unsuccessful depending on the body shop tech's skill level and how rough the parts really are. Painting can also be an issue as not all types of materials allow paint to adhere the same which can lead to cracking or chipping paint in a matter of weeks or months with the additional flex in the cheaper, poorer made parts.

So if you were to replace your front end with a proper OEM front end with warranty and so forth plus paint, proper blending, install and adjustment, your looking at a ballpark figure of around $1000.00 - $1200.00.

By keeping your existing front end and having a mobile service come out and fix your license plate holes, $100.00 - $150.00. Then painting your upper grille black as you had mentioned, around $250.00 - $300.00. Then having a good painter mask and match up the black paint to the line of the upper grille to achieve the look your wanting, around $150.00 - $250.00. Total somewhere around $600.00 -$700.00.

In my 100% honest opinion having dealt with custom paint and body for a loooong time, and always trying my best to give as honest up front accurate advice, either one of the above methods should work well to achieve the look you are wanting on your PT. It is totally up to you from there. If you opt to go with cheaper parts, try to cut corners to get things done as cheaply as possible on a budget which I totally understand, you will most likely have problems with both parts, paint, and fitment which way too many people wind up regretting their choice and wind up eventually taking it to someone who knows what they are doing to fix it the right way at double the cost of doing it the right way to begin with.

Please keep in mind I am not trying to discourage you in any way, but rather I hope to try my very best to educate so you have a positive experience with your modifications rather than become discouraged, frustrated, or upset with poor results on an otherwise cool project.

Wish I had better advice, and wish you all the best on whatever way you decide.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing