Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default help!!

hi guys,new member here,im thinking of buying a pt cruiser,and i would like to know if there are any models/years,types to avoid when looking to buy,got a budget of arround 2 grand,possibly bit more if needed..any help would be much appreciated...cheers

wayne
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: help!!

Welcome to the forum.I dont think there are any year/models that you need to avoid but it's going to be hard to find a good PT for around 2 grand.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:10 am
Senior Cruiser

For that price you may find an 01 or 02 with high mileage that's overdue for a timing belt and water pump. Just be prepared you may have to dump some money into any ride when your looking to spend that kind of money. If your credit is good find a used nice one and use your money for a down payment.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:25 am
Cool Cruiser

I hate to say it, but for 2 grand you are going to be getting a piece of junk.

Even if your credit isn't stellar you can find financing from most dealers these days, especially if you are putting $1000-2000 down.

IMO, shoot for something in the $5000-$7000 range. You should be able to find something with 50,000-70,000mi on it for that kind of price and not end up paying out the nose if you finance it. That way you've got a couple of years before major maintenance (like timing belt) needs to be done.

I got my GT 'vert for $7500 and it's in pretty good shape... only has 65,xxx on it. There are bargains to be had, you just need to look around.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I read this post at 4am before my ride home from Virginia. I was on the Hot Rod Power Tour. I didn't get a chance to answer but thought about it for a minute on the ride home. Then it hit me...2K I'm gonna have to agree with RaineMan completely on this one. If you find a PT for 2K, it's a piece of junk and your gonna have to spend twice that much to get it up and running.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just bought gas and I thought the total amt of our pt gas tank was 15 gal. The gas station stated I got 16.79 gals. I am thinking the gas station is ripping everyone off and want to report them. Now I know it was pretty empty and I never let it normally let it get that low but.. I have never pumped that much gas in my PT Cruiser. I have a 2006.

The other question I have is I am having a problem with all the warning lights on the panel flashing.. I mean seat belt, oil, head lights etc.. all of them.. they flash on and off. Normally nothing happens but the flashing but the other day my car completely died when it started flashing like that. I was very lucky as I happened to have just turned onto a side street when this happened. I took it into the dealer and of course they kept the car several days and they could not make it happen for them.. lol just my luck.
Does anyone have any ideas about this ?? thanks so much.
Susan
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Susan, welcome to the forum.

First, All PT's from the very beginning back in 2000 have a fuel capacity of (approximately) 15 gallons. Yes, "approximately". it's even written that way in the owners manual but I doubt very much if they were off as much as you said you received at the gas station. If it's local, take a one or two gallon can and fill it up. The cans would also take a tiny bit more than what they say put should pretty much be full to the top. If you put one gallon in (according to the pump) and there's plenty of room left for more, there's usually a number to call on the pump for the government weights and measures department to register a complaint.

As far as your other problem, it sure sounds like a bad electrical problem to do with you battery. If it was a short in just the console you might get the flashing but since the car died, all the cables from the battery have to be checked out, both positive and negative. Check for corrosion or frayed wires and loose connections.

Also, I know your new to the forum so don't take it personally but you should have started you own thread by hitting the "New Thread" button instead of attaching your problem to another persons question that we were in the middle of answering.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Jun 2011 at 07:54 am.