Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Confusing idle issue on 2001 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Confusing idle issue on 2001 PT Cruiser

I've checked some of the other forums but can't quite find the issue I'm having with my 2001 PT. I bought the car with the head disassembled and and put it back together with new gasket set, timing belt, and plugs. The car now runs quite well but has an erratic idle in that sometimes it idles perfectly and responds well upon acceleration but other times it idles a bit rough and will stall at stop lights. It will always start right up again and then it will run without stalling for a while and then it will stall again. There is no miss at all at cruising/passing speed. I'm not sure how long the motor had been sitting apart and wasn't sure if it might be an injector issue or something. I pulled the throttle body and thoroughly cleaned all the ports and seats and changed the idle speed motor (after I destroyed the original with over aggressive cleaning...lesson learned) and that seemed to help at first but now it's back to behaving the same way. I was thinking that I maybe installed the timing belt a tooth off but tonight the car was idling absolutely smooth and perfect. It almost seems like an intermittent vacuum leak but I've rechecked everything or have I obviously missed something? No codes have come up so I'm really at a loss here. Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Confusing idle issue on 2001 PT Cruiser

Try replacing the camshaft Position sensor - but get it from the dealer. It often doesn't throw a code like it should, but can give symptoms like yours.
Easy to replace and not expensive.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles