Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ABS help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ABS help

Need help my 2001 PT ABS went out. (98k miles) 1st it started pulsating my brake pedal than a load tapping noise coming from the left front wheel while moving slow. The dash light came on the noise and pulsating stopped. Ran fine for a few weeks, I just ignored the light as I knew I didnít need ABS control to operate the car. I believe it even was an option at the time I bought it new. The other day my brakes partly engaged on their own, car was moveable but bound up and over heating a little. Felt a pop after driving a few blocks and the brake/s released. 5 miles from home it did it again, but released once more. I drove using the hand brake only the rest of the way. I think the ABS is engaging the brakes, plus when it happens the brake pedal goes almost to the floor like it had a leak, but no real leak. When operating ok brake pedals firm. What can I do short of repairing the ABS control system of course? I looked for a fuse to power it down but no luck. My truck has a fuse box under the hood but I canít find same on the PT. The brakes have about 25k miles on them and look good. Thanks
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ABS help

Coul be a bad wheel sensor that could be causing things to go awry. Find someone/someplace with a good code reader - it can tell you which sensor is bad, because at about $35 @ you don't want to replace all of them - specially if there is some other problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jun 2011, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: ABS help

Thanks for the reply. Good idea will check into it