PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

P0605

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Default P0605

Got error P0700 upon further scanning it revealed p0605. I replaced the TCM with a new one that was reprogrammed, also replaced the shift solenoid. What could cause this p0605? (also the shift solenoid i got was from a wrecked one of the same year from a junkyard (cost like 10bucks)) Any idea what this would be? I would greatly appreciate any information ....

Thanks a bunch,
Ben
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0605

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net ...

P0605 - Internal Transmission Controller - Transmission control module ROM self-test fault detected.

Possible causes include: PCM- Internal Error

Inspect the wiring and connectors. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If there are no possible causes remaining replace the Powertrain Control Module. This is not a DIY repair; see your dealer for associated costs.

Ben, as for exactly caused an internal error in the computer, hard to say. What causes any computer to fail?

You also asked what the solenoid is. Also from Do-It-Yourself.net ....

The solenoids do the job of the valve body in older vehicles with non-computer controlled transmissions. The PT's Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly is external to the transaxle and mounted to the transaxle case. The assembly consists of four solenoids that control hydraulic pressure to the LR/CC, 2/4, OD, and UD friction elements. The reverse clutch is controlled by line pressure from the manual valve in the valve body. The solenoids are contained within the Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly, and can only be serviced by replacing the assembly. The solenoid assembly also contains pressure switches that monitor and send hydraulic circuit information to the TCM. Likewise, the pressure switches can only be service by replacing the assembly.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:59 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll check out all the wiring and such, some other site said i should check the #11 wire for ignition power. I'm hoping it's just a frayed wire or something ... if not, well yaknow i guess i'll deal with it :-p Thanks for the info
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Does this mean my p0700 and p0605 is stating i need to replace the PCM and not the TCM(as i recently replaced the TCM) ?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:07 am
Young Cruiser

Does this mean my p0700 and p0605 is stating i need to replace the PCM and not the TCM(as i recently replaced the TCM) ?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's what it seems like but I only report what I find in a search. It's best if you have it scanned professionally.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 19 Jun 2011, 09:59 am
Regular Cruiser

p0605-Internal TCM failure

That is a controller problem. It has nothing to do with wiring. The controller has to go through some pretests, and that means it's failed. There is no test in the FSM for that, it has only 1 step and that's to replace controller.

I do believe you have a 2002 with separate TCM so the TCM you bought is faulty. Hopefully it's guaranteed. Later years with the NGC controller have the TCM in them so that's when you'd have to replace the PCM/TCM combo.

The P0700 in the PCM is merely saying something is wrong in the TCM. Fix the P0605 and the P0700 will go away.

Last edited by Floundering; 19 Jun 2011 at 10:03 am.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 10:24 am
Regular Cruiser

In theory I guess, this code could also set if the pinion factor hasn't been set in the TCM (It doesn't list this as a possible cause in the FSM but the manual does assume the TCM is installed properly which would include this).

Did you set the Pinion factor or merely plug in the new TCM? You could try that first but you'll have to find someone with a DRB to do that. If that doesn't get rid of it, nothing else you can do except replace the TCM (you will however have to have the pinion factor set in that one also).
Old 19 Jun 2011, 11:30 am
Young Cruiser

Thats all the professional scan told me. maybe not professional enough?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

If all you did was plug in your TCM and did not have someone set your pinion factor, that could well be the cause of your problem.

A missing pinion factor would not be caught if you just told someone to scan for trouble codes. This is in a totally different menu than trouble codes. A pinion factor is rarely looked at unless someone is complaining of speedometer error or someone is replacing a TCM.

Have someone check your pinion factor and clear the trouble code. If it comes right back, you need a TCM, plain and simple, nothing else you can check or do.