PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2011, 10:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

Good day. We have an '07. The horn sticks on. Clearly it is the button/cover on the wheel that is binding. When it is depressed, it binds and when you pull it, it releases. You can see the warpage in the cover. So, how does it come off?
Second question. I need the shop manual for the 07. Anyone have one for sale?
Thank you all.

Tom
Old 19 Jun 2011, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

Don't think this picture will help but it will tell you the parts of the inner wheel. The instructons say how to take off the whole wheel and not the cover.

As far as the shop manual. You can buy the expensive one at about $90 from:

Dyment Distribution Services, 210 Wicksteed Ave., Toronto, ON M$G 2C3 1-800-387-1143.

Both Chilton and Haynes have a paperback version of the Repair Manual for the 01-09 PT's No#20390 either on-line or at some auto shops. The downloaded version for the 01-04 was taken off the site for copy write laws but some people still have it on their computer at home before it was taken off. There was quite a few changes between 01-05 and 06+ models so you really want one for your year.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 11:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Thank you Crewzin. I have that part of the manual but I need to know how this horn cover pops/pulls off. Any one pulled theirs?
Thank you for your help and information Crewzin.
Tom
Old 19 Jun 2011, 08:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i got the haynes manual for 01-09 but all they show is stuff for the 1st gens, they only talk about the second gen, i think.
if you're gonna attempt to take off the air bag, 1st things 1st, disconnect the battery lol.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have here the steps to remove the horn button. First, disconnect the negative battery cable. Then place the wheels in straight-ahead position. Remove the horn button by pulling button upward. Remove all horn internal components.
About the manual, I've been looking for one myself but can't seem to find it.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

id go ask some body at a body shop or at a dealership they should be able to tell you
Old 24 Dec 2011, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Old post, but I had the same issue on my '08, so here's some info.

Step 1, disconnect the negative battery wire. Not only to avoid airbag-face, but to also avoid hearing the horn constantly as you pry the cover off.

The airbag/cover clips onto the steering wheel with 3 wire clips, accessible by from behind, and can be pried free with a stubby straight screwdriver, leveraged with another screwdriver/socket for enough movement to unclip them.

Be sure to have the key in acc so the wheel can move freely as you turn it to access the 3 different clips.

Use a compact mirror(available from wife/girlfriend for you guys) to get a look at the clips so you can see what you're doing.

This is a pic of the clips behind the wheel.

This is a pic of the airbag/cover off the wheel, see the metal clips, bottom one is pointed.

There are 4 sprung horn buttons under the airbag/cover assembly

What I did, which seemed to help, was to grease the mounts where the wire clips go, and the wire clips themselves, and jam it back on.

If it starts up again, I'm going to go down the dealer and get a new horn switch assembly to swap out.
Part # 52029416AB
About $15 from here Mopar Part 52029416AB HORN SWITCH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornclip1.jpg (16.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg airbagcoverclips.jpg (34.1 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg hornbuttons.jpg (30.1 KB, 396 views)
Old 08 Feb 2015, 06:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Cool Re: 07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyweis View Post
Old post, but I had the same issue on my '08, so here's some info.

Step 1, disconnect the negative battery wire. Not only to avoid airbag-face, but to also avoid hearing the horn constantly as you pry the cover off.

The airbag/cover clips onto the steering wheel with 3 wire clips, accessible by from behind, and can be pried free with a stubby straight screwdriver, leveraged with another screwdriver/socket for enough movement to unclip them.

Be sure to have the key in acc so the wheel can move freely as you turn it to access the 3 different clips.

Use a compact mirror(available from wife/girlfriend for you guys) to get a look at the clips so you can see what you're doing.

This is a pic of the clips behind the wheel.
What goes onto the clips? Is it wedge shaped, or hook shaped? I tried using a short screwdriver with no luck at all. I cannot see with the mirror anything beyond the hole.

What is the round piece of wire hooking onto? I could not get the cover to move back at all.

Sorry, know this is dumb, but...
Old 08 Feb 2015, 10:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

The steering wheel has molded hooks. The air bag has metal hoops that clip over the hooks. I took a stubby flat bladed screwdriver, inserted into the hole, and then twist it. It will pop the hoops off. It's takes a lot of patience.

You only have to do the sides. The air bag will then rotate down and unhook from the bottom. I have had mine off twice and the second time was no easier then the first. It's a pain.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 05:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: 07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
The steering wheel has molded hooks. The air bag has metal hoops that clip over the hooks. I took a stubby flat bladed screwdriver, inserted into the hole, and then twist it. It will pop the hoops off. It's takes a lot of patience.

You only have to do the sides. The air bag will then rotate down and unhook from the bottom. I have had mine off twice and the second time was no easier then the first. It's a pain.

No wonder! Arrgh! Guy at the store told me it was a plastic wedge, if I did that, it would break it, and it's wire? Awesome! So, I CAN fix it.

That is great! Thank you! BTW, for people following my poison/chemical other thread, I had the outside of my place sprayed by the maintenance man with 2 butoxy-ethanol, imidacloprid, and snuggles with a sprayer hose. I have cleaned most of it up. I caught him with the surveillance cameras.

I bought off of Ebay the cabin air filter. Two car washes and then spraying with windex cleaned it up, but the filter has been wonderful to keep smells out and keep that way.

Thanks to all of you. Just put it in and twist, no plastic wedge. I have stalled for so long, looking for replacements plastic wedges, and it was made durably with metal, whew, thanks!