Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT Dream Cruiser worth buying?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 PT Dream Cruiser worth buying?

Hey guys,

Dealing with the dealership on a 2004 PT Dream cruiser (series 3 i believe with the blue and silver), it's got 101k (kms) on it and I can likely pick it up for around 4500-5000

Of course for this price it isn't perfect the issues are as follows

The dreaded foglight issue (the steering column apparently also has the odd short causing it to smoke which I assume is the multifunction switch)

The dealer says the main seal is gone causing oil to leak into the timing belt area

They also called the steering rack on it as a fail but couldn't give me much of a reason behind it other than saying the car needs a new control arm and bushing assembly.

Everything else on the car shows to have passed with flying colors.

Do you guys think this is a good deal keeping in mind I can perform all the repairs myself (however may have the main seal done by the pros)

Thanks

Last edited by KyleDubois; 20 Jun 2011 at 01:06 pm.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT Dream Cruiser worth buying?

Figure on doing the timing belt & water pump with the main seal - ballpark $1,000 - so if you can get it for $4,500, you'd be good to go for $5,500.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jun 2011, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

Even at 5500 is it worth that? I just dont wanna end up getting ripped off by the stealership on it.

I'm nervous of it just because my current 2000 beetle turbo has been a money pit after requiring a new turbo and about 1500 in other parts.

Any feedback and any recommendations of other things to look for are greatly appreciated
Old 20 Jun 2011, 01:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Is it automatic?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 01:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can find something better via private party, personal opinion of course.

Have seen 2-3 GT's out here for 5grand, some with a fresh timing belt/water pump and the same if not less miles.

Sold mine for just 4k and everything engine-wise was perfect, but did have 125k miles. Body had a minor dent that's all.

If the car you're looking at is a 5-speed, then you should consider it. Auto's come by too often and aren't very strong so they generally go for less (to us that is).
Old 20 Jun 2011, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Personally I'd walk away, seal, MF switch and steering arm then timing belt, water pump and tensioner!!! I believe you are looking at $1500 to fix that plus it does have close to 100,000 miles, not worth it to me for $4,500.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Jun 2011, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Appreciate the replies guys

It is a manual and to clarify its 101k kms which is 60k miles or so

How hard is a timing belt and waterpump to do on one of these?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 01:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Since it's manual and only has around 60,000 miles I would buy it.The timing belt needs to be changed around 100,000 miles so you have a while to go.You can do the MFS and front suspension parts yourself and have the seal done at a shop and still come out under $5500 so I think it's a good buy.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 02:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

5 speed , turbo Dream Cruiser with 60k miles ..... Go for it !!!!! Control arms are easy to change ($80 for Moog at Rockauto )
Old 20 Jun 2011, 02:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Timing belt is a pain to do it but not impossible. Parts go for about $200-$250.