Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Cruiser vert.TRANS leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2011, 05:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Pt Cruiser vert.TRANS leak

After I got this pt I seen a red oil spot on the drive. Took it back to the dealer and they said: I had signed the AS IS paper. Looks like it is the solenoid pack. 300.00 for parts and 300.00 to do the job. I just had a friend look at it and when he took the air cleaner out of the engine area the vent hose that hooks up to the air box was just hanging. The air box has oil in the bottom of the air box, and that I will take out and clean with simple green let air dry and put back together. I think I found the problem with a friends help. Knock on wood......... for me please! Hope this works xtreme cindy

The line that go's to the air box needs to be replaced. It is cracked at the end and won't stay on the box. The red oil is true it leaks, but he found why. The line that hooks to the trans the pinch clamp was not holding it tight on the fitting. He put a screw clamp on and it looks like he found the problem. I'm so sorry I did not have all the facts right. But the dealer should have seen that and they just wanted to sell me the bigger job and that would have not fixed it at all because the solenoid pack is not even where the hose is. I seen this so I do know now. Sorry xtreme booboo

Last edited by xtreme; 21 Jun 2011 at 05:38 am.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser vert.TRANS leak

Cindy, I may be wrong but the oil in the air box is normal and is black and if your dripping red, than it's not the same oil. Maybe someone will confirm this. The solenoid does leak and can be replaced. I think we even have instructions in the HOW TO section. Not that bad of a job and you can save a bunch of money.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 06:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

honestly i don't know where or what the solenoid pack does or is, but if it has anything to do with the transmission then that would explain the "red oil" right?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

There's a "How To" on the solenoid pack replacement in the Mod Bible in the PTCrew (forum). I can't remember this last ... PTCrew something or other. Crewzin knows for sure.

Anyway, Cindy, you can buy the automatic solenoid pack at RockAuto.com for half the dealer's price--and it's Borg Warner ... a good brand in the industry. If you read the How To and feel like doing the job yourself, then go for it. Maybe a friend who does wrenching can assist you.

Because ... that red oil is definitely automatic transmission oil. And our PT's most often leak at the solenoid pack (cause the OEM one works quite well, but is prone to leaking at the seal and also at other integral plastic areas).

Look up as much as you can about instructions. In the meantime, check your auto trans oil level. Do it per your Owner's Manual instructions. If you have to add oil, use only ATF+4--and nothing else. And add a little at a time. You don't want to overfill.

There have been many discussions on this leaky part on this forum. Do a search on the automatic transmission solenoid and see what's what.

Tim
Old 21 Jun 2011, 05:26 am
Young Cruiser

The line that go's to the air box needs to be replaced. It is cracked at the end and won't stay on the box. The red oil is true it leaks, but he found why. The line that hooks to the trans the pinch clamp was not holding it tight on the fitting. He put a screw clamp on and it looks like he found the problem. I'm so sorry I did not have all the facts right. But the dealer should have seen that and they just wanted to sell me the bigger job and that would have not fixed it at all because the solenoid pack is not even where the hose is. I seen this so I do know now. Sorry xtreme booboo

Last edited by xtreme; 21 Jun 2011 at 05:29 am.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

At least the problem was found and all looks well now. hopefully the whole experience will help someone else with the same kind of problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:44 am
Young Cruiser

Your so right Crewzin. Thanks for all your help. xtreme