Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
air intake sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default air intake sensor

i bought a 04 pt cruiser last week...the night i took it home the engine light came on...so i had it scanned and it was the air intake temperature sensor..so i bought on at auto zone and plugged it in.. but it really didnt seem to fit the connector near as tight as the old one... i then cleared the code by disconecting the battery...with in 15 minutes the light came back on... so i wiped the old one off and re-installed it...the next day the light went off and stayed off ..well today it came back on again....whats with that?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: air intake sensor

It's got to fit or your getting outside air into the intake. Get your money back and buy a Chrysler part. Will fit, costs a little more but it will work.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
It's got to fit or your getting outside air into the intake. Get your money back and buy a Chrysler part. Will fit, costs a little more but it will work.
no it fit the rubber grument just fine...it was the electrical connector that didnt fit right...so i put the stock one back in and the light went off...but it came on again after a few days...
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
no it fit the rubber grument just fine...it was the electrical connector that didnt fit right...so i put the stock one back in and the light went off...but it came on again after a few days...

BUT the stock one was bad and giving you a fault code. Why put that back in ???

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
BUT the stock one was bad and giving you a fault code. Why put that back in ???
honestly so i could take the one back to auto zone and get one from the dealer...which surprisingly is the same price as auto zone...but what im trying to figure out is why the light went off after i re-installed the old one for a few days?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't really answer that one. Did you examine the little red tip really well? that's what does the measuring of the incoming air and it could be dirty or bent. It's very sensitive.

It could be collecting small droplets of oil coming in from the air filter. Cleaned when put in but as a couple days go by, the oil builds up and clogs the sensor. If you look inside the air filter box, you should see a small amount of oil build up and there's also a small white foam filter that collects the oil residue and that could need changing. Once that little white filter is clogged up, the oil isn't stopped anymore from going up the intake. Just guessing here.

Wow can you tell I have nothing better to do. Nothing on TV but that stupid Anthony trial which my wife watches from start to finish.

Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

seems i may be in luck here..it seems i have a certified chysler mechanic that lives down the road from me who works on them on the side out of his house...i gave him a call and he told me to replace the electrical conector and the sensor..i can get the parts for $54.00
Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't think anybody needed a certification to tell you that. The new sensor from Chrysler would have cleared the problem and fit perfectly into the hole of the intake and fit the old electrical connection. Never heard of the connection going bad. Anyway, if your happy and there's no more fault light, that's all that matters.

Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Don't think anybody needed a certification to tell you that. The new sensor from Chrysler would have cleared the problem and fit perfectly into the hole of the intake and fit the old electrical connection. Never heard of the connection going bad. Anyway, if your happy and there's no more fault light, that's all that matters.
(no i talked to him about how the light went on and back off with the stock sensor...then coming back on)...when i looked at it again tonight i noticed that the connector was slipping back off..so i took a look at it and noticed that one of the locking tabs was broken....i have to get this car e-checked to transfer my plates and a lit check engine is a automatic failure.......
Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to jump to conclusions in my answers but you don't seem to add all the pertinent information in your posts then add it later. Anyway, glad you got it all fixed. Take the negative battery cable off for 5 minutes. that will reset the computer and clear any fault codes to start fresh. The car will run a little ruff for a minute or two while the computer re-learns all it's settings, then you good to go.