PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruise Control problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2011, 12:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruise Control problem

I have a 2003 PT that has 74,000 miles on it. The Cruise control recently started acting up on me. It works when the car is first started, but only for a little while and then it will just stop working. I have discovered that the outside temp has something to do with it. I drove to work the other day and it was in the mid 90's, it stopped working at about the 6 mile mark. I drove to work today and it was 85 and I made it 11 miles before it cut off. When I drove home tonight it was 70 and I got all the way home without it cutting off (35 miles). It does not matter if the cruise is actually engaged or not, the dash light and all will just go out. Please help!!!
Old 13 Jul 2011, 07:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruise Control problem

Welcome to forums.
Cruise uses vacuum, but I can't think of how a relatively small temp change could hurt vacuum.
Thermostat and engine fam should keep the engine coolant at least (if not whole engine) at roughly the same temp once warmed up.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jul 2011, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The engine Temp never changes, it has always been the same, I have just noticed when the outside temp gets hotter, I can go less miles before it cuts off. If I shut the car off and restart it, the cruise works again but will cut off shortly after that.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm gonna say this is probably caused by a short or loose wire somewhere that is expanding and contracting with the heat.

Good luck finding it... I hate electrical issues.

If you can, try taking it to the dealer and seeing if they can scan the cruise module.

Back in 05-08 GM had a lot of problems with the cruise control units used in many of its cars. Cobalt, Malibu, Corvette, etc. They all used the same unit and it would randomly decide not to work. The dealer could pull codes from the cruise module and see what was causing the failure. They had to replace the module twice in my Cobalt and once in my dad's Vette before they fixed the issue.

Not that this is a GM vehicle... but it could be the same type of problem.

Last edited by RaineMan; 13 Jul 2011 at 02:02 pm.