PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05; air,idle and now overheat issues

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jul 2011, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

I have an 05 Limited with 121,000 miles. Recently purchased and now the air doesnot work, (tried recharging but still not working) the idle is alittle rough and now it overheated on me. After readiing other threads I feel that it might be the low speed fan. When I am at a stop or low speed, the temp rises and when I drive over 35 it cools right down. This has only happened once but I haven't done any stop and go since, I will try to recreate over the weekend. Could this be the thermostat? Could all this be related? Not very good with cars. Any help would be appreciated. Timing and water pump replaced within last year.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jul 2011, 07:38 am
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 27,696
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

You probably already hit the nail on the head. Get out there and see if the fan is spinning. You have two speeds and if either speed is not working you'll probably have a overheating problem.

Being a used car, you have no idea of how it was treated or what maintenance was performed. Overheating could be a number of things including but not limited to: clogged or partially clogged radiator, bad radiator cap, air in the system, bad thermostat or a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. Last but least is a broken head gasket or block.

Those are worst case causes. Seeing that it cools down at speeds above 35mph, most likely your problem is the fan motor. Above 35 the computer shuts the fans down because there's enough air coming in from the front to cool everything down except maybe the compressor.

Get your radiator fan checked out.
__________________
........
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 123,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You probably already hit the nail on the head. Get out there and see if the fan is spinning. You have two speeds and if either speed is not working you'll probably have a overheating problem.

Being a used car, you have no idea of how it was treated or what maintenance was performed. Overheating could be a number of things including but not limited to: clogged or partially clogged radiator, bad radiator cap, air in the system, bad thermostat or a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. Last but least is a broken head gasket or block.

Those are worst case causes. Seeing that it cools down at speeds above 35mph, most likely your problem is the fan motor. Above 35 the computer shuts the fans down because there's enough air coming in from the front to cool everything down except maybe the compressor.

Get your radiator fan checked out.
I have tried to recreate by letting car run but doesn't seem to heat up past halfway. I am going to check out the fan but could it be something else?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2011, 01:21 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 27,696
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedweller View Post
I have tried to recreate by letting car run but doesn't seem to heat up past halfway. I am going to check out the fan but could it be something else?
Well, you have two problems; A/C is warm and you overheated. Both can be caused by the fan. If you take one at a time, then yes, there's a few things that can cause overheating and a few others that would cause you not to have cold A/C.

Lets take it one step at a time and see if you have both speeds of the fan working before trying something else.
__________________
........
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 123,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2011, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, you have two problems; A/C is warm and you overheated. Both can be caused by the fan. If you take one at a time, then yes, there's a few things that can cause overheating and a few others that would cause you not to have cold A/C.

Lets take it one step at a time and see if you have both speeds of the fan working before trying something else.
Thanks, will do!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jul 2011, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, you have two problems; A/C is warm and you overheated. Both can be caused by the fan. If you take one at a time, then yes, there's a few things that can cause overheating and a few others that would cause you not to have cold A/C.

Lets take it one step at a time and see if you have both speeds of the fan working before trying something else.
OK. grounded the middle terminal and hit each with the hot wire and fan ran at both. What next? Relay? Fan does not turn on ever.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jul 2011, 10:57 am
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 27,696
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

If the fan doesn't ever come on, i doubt if both relays would be bad. Try this: let everything get cool. Open the hood, see if you can see the fan blades. Turn on the engine and turn on the A/C. The fan should start running when the A/C is on no matter what the coolant temperature is. If it's not running now, you might have a problem with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and you need to find someone with an On-Board-Diagnostic II (OBD-II) reader that can test all the functions of the computer and fan controls.
__________________
........
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 123,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jul 2011, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If the fan doesn't ever come on, i doubt if both relays would be bad. Try this: let everything get cool. Open the hood, see if you can see the fan blades. Turn on the engine and turn on the A/C. The fan should start running when the A/C is on no matter what the coolant temperature is. If it's not running now, you might have a problem with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and you need to find someone with an On-Board-Diagnostic II (OBD-II) reader that can test all the functions of the computer and fan controls.
Found that I had a blown 40 amp little fuse for the low speed fan. Replaced and turned on the air and fan seems to be working fine now, but still have no air. Any ideas here? Tried recharging, compressor kicks in but no cold air. Gage say 40 PSI.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jul 2011, 04:50 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 27,696
Default Re: 05; air,idle and now overheat issues

I let the experts work on my A/C unless I know the exact problem and can replace any parts myself. I don't trust the do-it-yourself recharge kits plus both the high and low side have to be correct for the system to work. Your only getting a reading from the low side and a quick search doesn't show what the readings should be so I'm going to have to refer you to an A/C shop or maybe someone will jump in and give some answers.

One thing I will ask: It is blowing warm air into the interior, correct? And that's at idle, correct? If YES to both questions, take the car for a ride with A/C on and get on a road that you can maintain at least 40+ mph and check to see if the air turns cold. If it does, you still have a fan problem.
__________________
........
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 123,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having some idle issues after head gasket repair cruisinginmy02 Tech & Performance Forum 11 24 Jan 2011 06:49 pm
Coolant hose, overheat juliemom Tech & Performance Forum 1 14 Jul 2010 06:43 am
fan doesn't work but doesn't overheat 4SPEED General Turbo Discussions 3 07 Nov 2009 10:20 am
Idle Issues CoryMartelca Tech & Performance Forum 2 23 Oct 2007 08:04 am
overheat onyx pt General Turbo Discussions 11 27 Nov 2006 10:55 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors