Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I think I am buying a 2001 PT Cruiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2011, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question I think I am buying a 2001 PT Cruiser.

So I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2001 PT Cruiser. It has 70k miles and appears to be the loaded with every option available that year except the leather seats. The price is extremely good and it looks mechanically sound.

I want to fix it up and give it to my daughter (or I may keep it if I like it too much).

There are a few cosmetic issues I wanted to get an opinion on that may affect the cost.
There are these "flame" decals which have apparent sun fade and some cracking. Are they easy to remove?
There is some pitting in the chrome wheels. Is this easily polished?
The head lamps have some fogging and I wondered what type of seals they are and if this was a quick fix?

Thanks for any help you can offer...
Old 26 Jul 2011, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I think I am buying a 2001 PT Cruiser.

DONT THEY ARE JUNK .. Buy a HHR.. i OWN A 2006 PT CRUISER gas mileage is lousy , ac doesnt work when at a stop light ,, suspension is terrible as well as the wind noise on freeway ,,

I work for Chrysler this is only reason i bought one , i will never buy one again .
Old 26 Jul 2011, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
So I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2001 PT Cruiser. It has 70k miles and appears to be the loaded with every option available that year except the leather seats. The price is extremely good and it looks mechanically sound.

I want to fix it up and give it to my daughter (or I may keep it if I like it too much).

There are a few cosmetic issues I wanted to get an opinion on that may affect the cost.
There are these "flame" decals which have apparent sun fade and some cracking. Are they easy to remove?
There is some pitting in the chrome wheels. Is this easily polished?
The head lamps have some fogging and I wondered what type of seals they are and if this was a quick fix?

Thanks for any help you can offer...
First thing to find out is if the timing belt and water pump have been done. 96 months or 120,000 miles which ever comes first... $1000-$1500 depending on where you take it, or a few hundred in parts and your time to do it.

the flame decals are aftermarket on an '01 so no idea how easy they would be to remove.

pitting in the chrome is usually not fixable...

headlights probably need to be wet sanded and polished out or replaced.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 26 Jul 2011, 11:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBROB View Post
DONT THEY ARE JUNK .. Buy a HHR.. i OWN A 2006 PT CRUISER gas mileage is lousy , ac doesnt work when at a stop light ,, suspension is terrible as well as the wind noise on freeway ,,

I work for Chrysler this is only reason i bought one , i will never buy one again .
nice first post

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forums.
Do the gray bumpers have whitish areas near the body? Steel wool and WD-40 will remove that.
The flame decals can be peeled off - use a hair drier and "goo-gone" - BUT the paint underneath may be less faded. This is of course a function of the color - a dark color will be more noticiable.
The pitting can be cured with Mothers chrome/mag wheel polish - but look out for flaking of the chrome - that is not curable.
The headlights can be made better with this:
Headlight Restoration Kits | Headlight Restoration | Headlight Cleaner
I used it on my son's car with success.
Plan on having new spark plugs and wires (do not get stock wires, almost any name brand is better) installed, and you should have the automatic transmission flushed (ask if the mechanic has a flushing machine, and be sure they use only ATF + 4) - the flush is about $200.
Look at the tires and brakes to see if they need replacement.
Then you are good to around 100,000 miles, when timing belt needs to be replaced. (with water pump and other belts, runs about $1,000)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply rcktpwrd & quicksilverdon. That was helpful. I will have to research the aftermarket decals, and I will be sure to inquire about the other maintenance.

Any other tips or ideas please post them for me. This will be a quick transaction if / when it happens. The guy has it priced $1800 under the KBB private seller price so I don't expect it will be there long since it has low miles and is pretty darn clean. VIN number check came up clean also.

Link to some of the pics. Let me know what you think.
Photos of the car.

Last edited by markyodo; 26 Jul 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You're welcome.
I'm on my second PT (wanted a turbo) - and just had my timing belt done as I am close to 100,000 miles - my daughter and her husband each have '03 turbo PTs.
Total problems:
Daughter's - well over 100,000 miles (timing belt replaced):
auto transmission rebuild $1,800 ("rocked it" back and forth in snow)
Multi-function switch (controls lights) (about $75)
Son-In-Law's - closing in on 100,000 miles (needs timing belt done)
Cam position sensor (about $45)
Engine fan wiring problem (about $200)
My '02 PT - 87,000 miles Zero.
My '05 PT - approx. 98,000 miles -
Cruise control stopped working - I haven't lookied into it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The last picture shows the white bumper marks I was talking about - spray WD-40 on steel wool and rub them away....
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

As far as BOBROB goes, there are people that have problems which most can be fixed. Gas Mileage; yes, it's not the best. Most owners are getting high teens with all city driving, low to mid 20's with mixed driving. Almost everyone has had the radiator fan stop working, which is what BOBROB is talking about when he says the A/C doesn't work when at a stop light. A $100 new fan and 1 1/2 easy labor and you can have a new fan and have no problems. He says the suspension is terrible but you'll have to decide for yourself. How the shocks and struts are and the kind of tires can make a big difference. A lot of wind noise on the freeway? Don't really notice and the 20,000 members on the forum before BOBROB joined, haven't complained.

You do want to take it out in both city and highway for a good ride. See for yourself how it rides and sounds like. One thing you should do is turn on the engine and listen to it. Should be free of rattles and bad sounding engine noise and also let it sit at idle and have the air conditioning running on high. Watch the temperature gauge on the dial and after 15 minutes, if it hasn't gone above 1/2 way towards HOT, your good to go. It should never, unless something is wrong, go past 1/2 (or just a touch more) half way.

Lots of folks have front bearing problems. In the city, while test driving it, take a lot of turns and listen for any kind of out of the ordinary noise. Lots of us don't have problems and I know quite a few that are on the original (including myself) bearings at over 100,000 miles.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

I for one say that a PT Cruiser is a great car for your daughter. Its good to drive around in. Besides my own user error, the car hasn't caused me any problems and I've loved it so far.