Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'01 PT Limited Edition Won't Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '01 PT Limited Edition Won't Start

I have and 01 Cruiser that last night as I was making a turn to the right, it shut off.. It will turn over but not run.. we charged up the battery.. everything works, lights, radio ie.. it just acts like it wants to run but won't turn over.. any suggestions or help?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: '01 PT Limited Edition Won't Start

How many miles on her? Sounds a lot like a broken timing belt.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

113000 or so.. we replaced the timing belt about 3 weeks ago.. it has run fine since last night..
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When the timing belt broke a few weeks okay.. I had nothing.. it wouldn't even turn over.. now it tries to turn over, just won't run..
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Susan.

Did the engine light come on? That means a sensor saw a fault and sent a message to the computer. We need to know that fault code to try and help.

How to retrieve fault codes.

If no engine light, the two things you mostly need to get the engine going are fuel and spark. The fuel pressure needs to be tested (at the end of the fuel rail) and you need to see if spark is getting to the plugs.

You might want to try the easiest thing, get a jump start from a good battery. You might have lights and radio but they take little voltage to work. To start the car you need nearly a full 12 volts. it could be that your alternator or battery are on their last legs and you just ran out of power.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Oct 2011 at 05:46 pm.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay.. I'm a bit of a blonde somedays.. the engine light is the yellow engine symbol in the bottom left?? Or the red light on top of that same cluster window? The red light up on top is what I remember to have come on after it shut off..
Old 18 Oct 2011, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fault light is the yellow engine symbol in the black oval. That red symbol is either the battery or the oil light.

Edit: Whatever: try that link I put in my answer and see if there's any fault codes that might help up. If there's no faults it will say "done". If there's a fault, it would look like this P0041 or P0340 or another set of numbers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Oct 2011 at 05:59 pm.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just checked it and it said "done" I guess it could be a number of things from the coil pack to a relay..
Old 18 Oct 2011, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The coil pack which is a very good part and very very seldom gives a problem, or a relay will give a fault code. Start with the jump start from a good battery, that will narrow it down if it's an electrical fault.

Old 18 Oct 2011, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was on a battery charger and it wouldn't work.. is that the same as jumping from a good battery??