Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Like it never even happened!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2011, 02:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Like it never even happened!

Referring back to my "Worst Day Ever" post, the whole thing is done now. My mom's PT has been restored to its original look with a brand new bumper and headlight.

The whole job took me about 3.5 hours, but I believe I could do it much quicker next time, now that I know where some of the kinks are.

The main issue I had was getting the car jacked up. You can hardly get a jack underneath that thing. Ended up using the scissor jack until it was just up a little, and then putting a big jack underneath until I was able to set jack stands underneath it.

The total cost was 312 dollars. $242 for a primed and painted bumper (that matches the color and fits PERFECT), and 68 for a headlight with a lifetime warranty.

This is the most intensive work I've ever really done to a vehicle. I've changed brakes and rotors, replaced a stop-neutral-safety-switch on my 1998 Grand Am, and a headlight on my 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe, and recently completed my first oil change on my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo, but this was the most involved work yet.

Here's some pics! And if anyone ever needs some tips on how to do this job, I've got some great ones. It really isn't hard. The youtube video for the 01-05 PT Cruiser describes exactly how to do this job. The steps are 100% the same!

Here's the inital damage

And, the final product

Thanks for the help I got off this forum. Appreciated!
Old 07 Nov 2011, 10:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Like it never even happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanDroid View Post
Referring back to my "Worst Day Ever" post, the whole thing is done now. My mom's PT has been restored to its original look with a brand new bumper and headlight.

The whole job took me about 3.5 hours, but I believe I could do it much quicker next time, now that I know where some of the kinks are.

The main issue I had was getting the car jacked up. You can hardly get a jack underneath that thing. Ended up using the scissor jack until it was just up a little, and then putting a big jack underneath until I was able to set jack stands underneath it.

The total cost was 312 dollars. $242 for a primed and painted bumper (that matches the color and fits PERFECT), and 68 for a headlight with a lifetime warranty.

This is the most intensive work I've ever really done to a vehicle. I've changed brakes and rotors, replaced a stop-neutral-safety-switch on my 1998 Grand Am, and a headlight on my 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe, and recently completed my first oil change on my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo, but this was the most involved work yet.

Here's some pics! And if anyone ever needs some tips on how to do this job, I've got some great ones. It really isn't hard. The youtube video for the 01-05 PT Cruiser describes exactly how to do this job. The steps are 100% the same!

Thanks for the help I got off this forum. Appreciated!
It looks great! Thanks for posting the results.
Old 07 Nov 2011, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ignore the $$^%@#% spammer.

NICE JOB.
And I think you got off cheaply.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Nov 2011, 05:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Glad the video worked out! Good to see everything worked out and the price was less than you expected!
Old 07 Nov 2011, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is the most intense work I've never done a car. I changed the brakes and rotors, replaced one-stop neutral safety switch on my 1998 Grand am, and a headlight on my 2003 Dodge Stratus R / T coupe, and recently finished my first oil change on my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo but it was the most involved work yet.
Old 07 Nov 2011, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorsaver View Post
This is the most intense work I've never done a car. I changed the brakes and rotors, replaced one-stop neutral safety switch on my 1998 Grand am, and a headlight on my 2003 Dodge Stratus R / T coupe, and recently finished my first oil change on my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo but it was the most involved work yet.

Victorsaver. Please explain why changing the oil was so "involved work". With the other things you mentioned, changing oil should have been a piece of cake.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Nov 2011, 04:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

looking good. i'm glad to see that everything's ok.
Old 09 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Like it never even happened!

Good job man!

Hope Mom appreciates you with at least a nice big pie.
(Willing to do safe taste test on pie for you. Send pm!)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 11 Nov 2011, 08:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good job dude!

I plowed a dear at 40 mph with Mater a few months back and fixed her/him my self. Back on the road now. Had to do way more work than you, hood, fender, bumper cover, headlights, paint job, etc. but came out perfect. Great feeling for a DIY job! Congrats to yourself and I hope your mom is happy!

Cheers!
Old 12 Nov 2011, 06:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Victorsaver. Please explain why changing the oil was so "involved work". With the other things you mentioned, changing oil should have been a piece of cake.
I think he was referring back to swapping the bumper and headlight as being intensive, and was using the example of completing his first oil change on the GT.. just my interpretation. If you can swap a bumper and headlight on a PT, it wouldn't be a far stretch to assume you can use a 15mm wrench and pull off an oil filter.. haha.

Tags
bumper, bumper cover, headlight