PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Heater/AC Control Knob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2011, 11:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Question Heater/AC Control Knob

My wife has a 2006 PT that she drives exclusively. She tends to run with the heater control knob turned to defrost all the time. Some time back, I was driving it back from a dealer oil change and turned it on AC. The knob sprung right back to defrost.

It turned out that the cable wouldn't move and had bent near the knob. It required a new cable and "re-timing" the control.

On my way home, I tried to change the position of the knob and it started to do the same thing. I returned to the dealer but it was near closing so I had to return another day. OK, they "re-timed the control and told may that whenever the knob is turned, you have to do it slowly and stop at each position so it won't jump time. I thought that was BS.

They cautioned me that the next time it happened, the entire heater box assembly would have to be replaced which took all day and required the dash be removed. I was told that the control door workings are not serviceable. The cost will be considerable.

So, as it is now, I was in the car again a few days ago and tried to move the knob off defrost and it rebounded back again. I have ordered a PT repair manual to get a better idea of the workings of this control.

Any ideas as to why this can't be fixed once and for all?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Heater/AC Control Knob

I have a similar problem in my car but I took the wires and and the part of the knob mechanism and grease them, so is a lot better but not perfect. For now on I move the knob back and forth every time, when I want to use the defrost, just to make sure the wire doesn't get bent or snap.
The dealer is right on that. The only way to fix it good is to remove the the heater box, which I did it three weeks ago and is a PAIN to do.
Anyways, if she likes to drive on "defrost and feet" like I do, you can do the "defrost mod", so you don't have to use the AC when the defrost is on.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Did you put in a new heater box?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

No. I didn't explain it right: I took out my wife's heater box to replace a leaking heater core and I greased the mechanism and it works like new. The problem with the cables is in my car. I drive an 03 GT and my wife drives a 01 N/A.
You can try taking the know mechanism out and grease everything and see if that helps. You have to reach really far in to get to the end of the cables, but it helped when I greased it.

BTW, the dealer is wrong about something: you don't need to replace the heater box, you just need to open it and grease everything...unless something is broken.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

How difficult is it to "time" the controls?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 01:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I never did that. IMO that's pure BS.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 02:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

The way it was explained to me is that the blend door mechanism has a semi-curved sliding gizmo with teeth on it that opens one feature and closes the other as you move the selector around the dial. They said it had to be timed when the cable was replaced.