Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 power steering fluid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2011, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 power steering fluid?

I can't find anywhere in the owners manual what kind of power steering fluid to use in my 01 pt cruiser. Thanks!
Old 18 Dec 2011, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 power steering fluid?

Same as your automatic transmission: ATF+4

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 01:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Same as your automatic transmission: ATF+4
Not in the '01 they use power steering fluid.

Get Chrysler approved fluid at the auto parts store.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Dec 2011, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post

Excuss me, I've been using the ATF+4 for at least 7 years even since my OEM power steering unit failed and I put in a new one.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 02:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I am attaching an Aug, 2003 Chrysler technical service bulletin.
Apparently 2001 model year PT Cruisers were "delivered from the factory with MS-9933 power steering fluid".
The technical service bulletin revises the previous practice and says one "should use ATF+4 (replaces MS-9933)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:58 am.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 08:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

My car has yellow colored power steering fluid from the factory, I would not mix that with atf+4. If the system was completely drained for whatever reason then that is a different story.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Dec 2011, 09:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Definitely do not mix the two different fluids.
From the ptdoityourself.net site

"You won't find any information about which power steering fluid to use in the 2001 owners manual, however it does say NOT to use the ATF+4 transaxle fluid. I don't have a service manual for that year, so I'm unable to check the recommendation there.

The latest power steering TSB issued in August 03 indicates that the “factory fill” for the 2001 was MS9933 as indicated by the Chrysler rep, however under the TSB, the “approved service” power steering fluid is MS9602. This indicates that you should use MS9933 to top-off the OE factory fill, but when replacing the fluid DC would use MS9602.
Mopar ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid (MS9602) is now being utilized because it provides superior performance at both low and high temperatures.

The TSB states that the bulletin supersedes owner's and service manuals for the vehicles listed (2001 PT among other makes and model years) that may state to use MS9933 in the power steering system, and that may state not to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system.

The “factory fill” for the 2002-2005 model years was MS9602 and the “approved service” power steering fluid is MS9602.

The 2006 service manual states that the recommended fluid for the power steering system is Mopar Power Steering fluid + 4 or Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid. Both Fluids have the same material standard specifications (MS-9602). Mopar ATF+4 (and Mopar Power Steering fluid + 4), when new, is red in color. ATF+4 is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, ATF+4 will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. THIS IS NORMAL. ATF+4 has a unique odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition or the need for a fluid change."
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:48 am
Cool Cruiser

I know this is an old thread, but still useful. I am currently trying to rule out problems and just checked mine to find the damn thing is empty lol.

So I'm about to buy some to just rule out if this is the cause of my issue.

Question is, can I use this transmission fluid, it's not gonna mess up my car anymore than it is, is it?

I read here to use it, but then looked in my book which says do not. However, I would take any of you experienced peoples word over what may be an outdated recommendation from an old manual.

ATF+4 or to not?

Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
I know this is an old thread, but still useful. I am currently trying to rule out problems and just checked mine to find the damn thing is empty lol.

So I'm about to buy some to just rule out if this is the cause of my issue.

Question is, can I use this transmission fluid, it's not gonna mess up my car anymore than it is, is it?

I read here to use it, but then looked in my book which says do not. However, I would take any of you experienced peoples word over what may be an outdated recommendation from an old manual.

ATF+4 or to not?
Need to find the cause for this. They don't work very well without it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:59 am
Cool Cruiser

well Im wondering if its ever been refilled now since 2001. I have had the car coming up 2 years now. And I will admit, I've never peeked in the power steering to check it. I always check fluids, the coolant engine oil, every now and then the tranny. Not sure why I never checked that one. let it be a lesson to anybody else out there.

Even if it isn't the cause of my other issue, it still needs filling up. Just wanted to get an idea what people suggest. Being in the UK, we get different names for stuff. I just checked halfords website, and all they all say is ATF fluid, no damn numbers next to them or anything.

just to add, the trace amounts of the fluid is like a green/yellow colour. Looks green on the bottle rim but sort of yellow when i checked on paper. Ain't it supposed to be a reddish colour? I really dunno. This is just an eye opener for me. I can't stop reading around now about the whole engine.

Last edited by whiteclaw; 14 Nov 2013 at 10:21 am.