Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Haynes Manual No Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Angry Haynes Manual No Help

I recently purchased a Haynes PT Cruiser Repair Manual to learn how to access and work on the heater box in my PT. The dealer said they needed to pull the dash and replace the whole unit because it isn't serviceable. The problem has been the control cable bends and won't operate the blend door or whatever. The dealer has replaced the cable twice and charged me to "re-time" the mechanism. Now, I am facing possibly an $800 repair.

The Haynes manual was a disappointment because the dash layout is different than mine and the picture of the heater box is too small to show detail. Nowhere could I find instructions on this "re-timing" procedure.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Haynes Manual No Help

Parts, AFAIK, are available from Chrysler and aftermarket, unless it's Right hand drive. Doors and levers look like they're not.

my guess is that somethings interfering with that door- A child dropped a pencil down the defrost duct
IIRC, there's a fresh/recirc door on AC models, and a cold/heater door on all models

Google 'PT Cruiser FSM download' for factory service manual

and

search for archived document links here for your year's parts manual.

See if you can remove blower (AC model for fresh- recirc door) or for cold/heat door, you may also reach into ducts to feel around for obstructions.

Here's some on an AC model:

Old 25 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

UptownSport is correct. The only service manual that is going to be helpful to you is the Chrysler service manual for your year, or at least the series that your car falls into. What year is yours? The Haynes manuals seem to be the best of the lot of aftermarket manuals, in my opinion. That's when there is a choice. Also in my opinion, Chiltions manuals would make good toilet paper if their pages were thinner.

Factory manuals cost much more. But I have found that they save me more money than their cost, 100 times over.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 10:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Haynes Manual No Help

My PT is a 2006 with air.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Makes sense. I think that the current Haynes manual doesn't cover the 2006 and new PT Cruisers. Those have what looks like a towel bar on the passenger side. Your best approach will be trying to find a Factory manual. Getting to the heater box is simple, but it is not easy. The worst of it is discharging the air conditioning system, and then recharging it. I may need to do this with my 2001, and I am not looking forward to it.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Both Haynes and Chilton have come out with newer repair manuals for the model years 01-09. Funny thing about it though, whenever someone asks a question about the newer models, I find the same information in the old and new book. I think they both just changed the title to cover more years. They don't tell you that the EGR system was changed after 2002 or that the Crankshaft sensor was moved from above the oil filter in 01-03 to in back of the starter in 04+.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 01:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Both Haynes and Chilton have come out with newer repair manuals for the model years 01-09. Funny thing about it though, whenever someone asks a question about the newer models, I find the same information in the old and new book. I think they both just changed the title to cover more years. They don't tell you that the EGR system was changed after 2002 or that the Crankshaft sensor was moved from above the oil filter in 01-03 to in back of the starter in 04+.
Gotta luv `em. Anything more than an oil or spark plug change, take it to the dealer!
Old 26 Dec 2011, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
You gotta love that!!!!! It'd be a PT owners dream to work on!!**

You MIGHT be able to remove the blower and reach the mix door!!!
If you can't, enlist someone with smaller hands to try!

(**My favorite Neons were the original '95's for only a few grand, there was nothing under hood, everything was EZ to service!)