Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Traction Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2011, 09:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Traction Control

Just a quick question....Do our cars have Traction Control?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 10:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Traction Control

Only with ABS as an option. I've owned two PT's with traction control but it really doesn't help much. Just makes noise when my wheels spin. It tells me to let off the gas.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm
Young Cruiser

ok that was another question...What about ABS?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That f**** traction control helps to break CV axles.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 06:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
Only with ABS as an option. I've owned two PT's with traction control but it really doesn't help much. Just makes noise when my wheels spin. It tells me to let off the gas.

What he said... especially with a turbo, even in third (manual). All it ever seems to do is flash a light at me, never seems to actually *do* anything to the traction and the ABS pretty much works on both wheels rather than individually
Old 30 Dec 2011, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In using the DSP, you can program your PT to have the TCS off at startup. It aggravates me to have it on all the time, and I had to spend a couple of hours wiggling around to get it to work that way.

Now, when it's foul weather I definitely leave it on. For me, it should be an option to turn on, not off.

I can tell you it does work. And I can tell you that it may very well have saved my life, at least saved me from a wreck. I had thought that traction control on these was applied to the drive train but it's not, it's applied to the brakes. I was running back down highway 129, the Tail of the Dragon, trying to get off the mountain and out of the Smokies as it was pouring down rain. As I mentioned, I turn it on in foul weather and had done so here.

As most of you know, I can be a bit of an insane driver when alone in my PT, especially on mountain roads. Well, I was going a bit faster than the weather allowed, and coming around a very tight curve almost lost control. The PT started pushing into the oncoming lane, and I snagged the wheel a bit too hard to try and correct it. Thank goodness no oncoming traffic! Traction control started braking immediately when I started to slide. Two things this did : Kept me off the shoulder, which consisted of about a 200' drop, and kept the rear end from coming around. I slowed and got back in my lane and thought that, when I got home, I'd have to have my seat surgically removed from my rear end. So, lesson learned, traction control DOES work, and I ain't gonna drive like a retard in the rain again!
Old 30 Dec 2011, 06:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What you're describing is Vehicle Stability Control. I don't know when that option became available. My 05 and my previous 01 only had Traction Control. It's supposed to prevent wheel spinning at low speeds.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As far as I can find, stability control was never available for the PTs
IIHS unkind words about '08 PT link
ESC = Electronic Stability Control.
Quote:
ESC should be standard: Among the small cars in this round of tests, only the Chevrolet HHR and Pontiac Vibe have standard ESC. It isn't available at all on the PT Cruiser and optional on the rest
ABS and traction control were definitely options though.
On most cars under $30k, traction control uses the brakes, and only works under 35mph or so.

What Chrome experienced sounds like the traction control, braking the front wheels, reducing understeer.

I had AWD, traction control, and ESP(electronic stability protection) on my Jeep Compass. ESP could get to be a pain in snowy conditions, as it was constantly going off, making groaning noises as the brakes kept working. You actually had to tap the button to make it less sensitive in snow, and hold it down for a few seconds to turn it all the way off. But, it was cool testing it out by turning onto my street on poorly plowed roads, it was fairly idiot proof as I could basically just turn the wheel and hit the gas and the car would right itself after a brief slip.

With the PTs, if you live in the northerly areas, it's probably a good idea to get some winter tires in the winter, even with the traction control and ABS.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It was traction control, I was doing a curve on the road in second gear, about 30 mph, which was 5 mph too fast. Right front tire started to spin, losing traction, causing the push to worsen and I started heading towards the edge of the road. With the input of traction control, the slipping slowed and I was able to get back under control.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 01:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine has a switch to turn the traction control off. 2010

All the traction control does is apply brake to the front wheel that is spinning