PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door Chime Problem 2001 Base Model-HELP!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigw123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2011, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door Chime Problem 2001 Base Model-HELP!!

My wife's 2001 PT is possessed! When you open the door, the chime comes on. Mind you, there are no keys in the ignition! So I thought ignition switch. Tried that, still chimes! So I thought must be the lock cylinder assembly. Tried that, still chimes! So I thought maybe door jamb switch. Swapped it out with the passenger side, and guess what? Still chimes!!!! I did notice that with the door jamb switch out, it doesn't chime, but the second I make contact with the body, the chime goes off. Argggghhh...anyone have a clue where I should start?!

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 31 Dec 2011, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door Chime Problem 2001 Base Model-HELP!!

Does it go off when you close the door?

Just tried mine. A fast chime means the vehicle thinks the driver is getting out (or has gotten out) and left the key in the ignition. No other door activates this chime. You said you tried that but you might want to mess around with the ignition wires.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Dec 2011 at 05:41 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2012, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes
Key out, lights off. Open the door it chimes. Close the door chime goes off. When you say mess around with teh ignition wires, you mean at the switch? Also, I did notice that the sterring wheel no longer locks if that helps!
Thansk for the reply!
Old 01 Jan 2012, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, I would think somethings broke inside the ignition switch that won't let you lock the steering wheel and whatever is broke, is making the car think the key is still inserted. Just my guess. Not really worth replacing the ignition lock if the chime goes off once the door is closed.

Here's something you might think about.

Finally!! A product that shuts that bloody chime - The Australian PT Cruiser Community - The Australian PT Cruiser Community

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jan 2012, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Normally I would agree, but she wants a remote starter installed. I cud e wrong, but I am thinking that if the car thinks the key is installed its going to muck up the remote install.....thoughts? Anyone? Ferris????
Old 04 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok experts!! Found out its the headlamp on chime that's going off. To recap, ignition off, keys out, headlights off, headlights on chime goes off when you open the door.
So from what I have found, it's either the headlight switch, or the bcm on/in the dash. I changed out t he headlamp switch.....no luck, so it looks like a dorman instrument cluster. Anyone have problem similar? Comments? Ferris?!

Last edited by Bigw123; 04 Mar 2012 at 12:26 pm.
Old 04 Mar 2012, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have no idea what the problem is but I suggest you learn how to check switches and fuses with a cheap ohmmeter. It's very easy and will save you lots of money and time by not changing out good parts.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well here is the update/outcome. The BCM which is intergrated into the instrument cluster was bad. Swapped it out with a replacement from Dorman and all is fixed, including no more chime! WOO HOO!
crazyptguy likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Door Chime Problem 2001 Base Model-HELP!!

Is there a place on the site that has the definitions for all these abbreviations?
I know many of our members don't know what a BCM is or many of the other
references mentioned on the site. Is there somewhere out there where they are
explained? PTpreacher