Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thank you all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2012, 08:38 am
Young Cruiser

Default Thank you all

I want to thank you all again for the support and advice shared on this forum. I regrettably had to trade my PT Cruiser due to rash of repairs over the holidays and reliability that I could no longer wholly trust. I miss the Cruiser and will likely continue to miss it as my belief is still that there is no true PT Cruiser substitute vehicle offered by any manufacturer, but I could also not afford to continue with transmission and electrical repairs that started with fewer than 37,000 miles and was less than 40 months old.

Thank you again and take care of yourselves!

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 02 Jan 2012, 11:16 am
Banned

Default Re: Thank you all

Do what I did.

The way to avoid it is get the 5 speed

My wife however couldnt do this and we got a full warranty on the vehicle.

Wouldnt buy one without one
Old 02 Jan 2012, 11:56 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Do what I did.

The way to avoid it is get the 5 speed

My wife however couldnt do this and we got a full warranty on the vehicle.

Wouldnt buy one without one
I had intended to purchase a five-speed and desperately looked for one when I bought the PT, but I could not locate one that had a manual and a/c in the area (or within reasonable distance) that did not have ultra high mileage. I made the choice to purchase the one I did, had very few concerns until this year. I did check to verify if I could purchase a full coverage warranty from Chrysler and could have, though, it would have omitted the transmission, as that was considered a pre-existing condition.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 02 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcrzn View Post
I had intended to purchase a five-speed and desperately looked for one when I bought the PT, but I could not locate one that had a manual and a/c in the area (or within reasonable distance) that did not have ultra high mileage. I made the choice to purchase the one I did, had very few concerns until this year. I did check to verify if I could purchase a full coverage warranty from Chrysler and could have, though, it would have omitted the transmission, as that was considered a pre-existing condition.
I dont get it, you bought a PT knowing it had a pre existing condition meaning the Transmission?

When we bought my wifes PT, it had a few issues that we had them repair before we bought it, it was 1700 worth of work. We bought the full warranty which covered everything, except wear items like the battery, wiper blades, brake pads, etc etc.

By the way, you are not required to buy a Chrysler warranty, we bought a honda warranty for my wifes car, partly because it was sold at a honda dealer, you can still have it serviced anywhere under warranty.

I bought mine with the Chrysler warranty because the honda warranty would not cover mine, being an 06 with fewer miles than my wifes 07!

Anyway, the warranties are out there, mine was the chrysler top tier one, they do have the cheaper ones that cover hardly anything.

Anyway, you have made your decision to dump the PT, I just gave you some advice for you next purchase, no car is perfect, but being prepared properly, especially when buying a used car, is essential

I drove from Texas to Iowa to get mine, It was more important to get what I wanted than buy something I didnt want. It also had 17k on the clock too
Old 02 Jan 2012, 01:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

jbcrzn: How much was your tranny estimate? Did you know a rebuilt tranny goes for about $1700 installed?

Busa_Powered: How much did you pay for the extended warranty and what does it cover?
Old 02 Jan 2012, 02:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I dont get it, you bought a PT knowing it had a pre existing condition meaning the Transmission?

When we bought my wifes PT, it had a few issues that we had them repair before we bought it, it was 1700 worth of work. We bought the full warranty which covered everything, except wear items like the battery, wiper blades, brake pads, etc etc.

By the way, you are not required to buy a Chrysler warranty, we bought a honda warranty for my wifes car, partly because it was sold at a honda dealer, you can still have it serviced anywhere under warranty.

I bought mine with the Chrysler warranty because the honda warranty would not cover mine, being an 06 with fewer miles than my wifes 07!

Anyway, the warranties are out there, mine was the chrysler top tier one, they do have the cheaper ones that cover hardly anything.

Anyway, you have made your decision to dump the PT, I just gave you some advice for you next purchase, no car is perfect, but being prepared properly, especially when buying a used car, is essential

I drove from Texas to Iowa to get mine, It was more important to get what I wanted than buy something I didnt want. It also had 17k on the clock too
Busa_Powered,

I did not buy the car and knew it had a transmission problem, rather it developed what is suspected to be an electrical issue that caused a transmission issue this year. The pre-existing condition was identified as such by Chrysler after the issue was diagnosed by the dealer.

...and I do appreciate your advice.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Last edited by jbcrzn; 02 Jan 2012 at 02:21 pm.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 02:04 pm
Young Cruiser

[QUOTE=XtrmDC2;403997]jbcrzn: How much was your tranny estimate? Did you know a rebuilt tranny goes for about $1700 installed?

All of the work for the transmission, control, clutch, solenoid, etc. would have been around $2300, including tax.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Old 02 Jan 2012, 03:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

WOW, $2300, that's a lot !!! I paid $1595 four years ago for my wife's N/A tranny (including taxes), with new clutches, solenoid pack, etc, etc.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 03:16 pm
Young Cruiser

If we could have isolated the problem to the mechanical components and not the electrical ones, I would have kept the car. Truth be told, I love that car so much, I have contemplated trying to trade back for it (with the appropriate stupid tax of the new car's depreciation and fees).

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Old 02 Jan 2012, 06:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
jbcrzn: How much was your tranny estimate? Did you know a rebuilt tranny goes for about $1700 installed?

Busa_Powered: How much did you pay for the extended warranty and what does it cover?
I will get that for you, I am not at home now.

I do know that it was cheaper to get the honda warranty on my wifes car.

Mine being a year older, and even though it had fewer miles, had to get the Chrysler warranty due to its age, so it cost more.

BTW, I bought the warranty because I knew Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep have many more problems than the Jap cars I generally buy which I dont buy a warranty for.