Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need some general advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Need some general advice

I am looking at getting an 01 PT Cruiser limited with 78k miles. The guy wants 2300 for it. He just did the timing belt, brakes, rotors, water pump. Then his father had to be put in a nursing home so he got his dads car. So he wants to sell the PT Cruiser just to get back what he put into it plus a little extra. He was told that the car needs control arm bushings but the mechanic said it would be cheaper just to do the whole control arm.. He also said the dash has a crack in it. From what i am reading thats a normal problem? I am wondering if there are anything other specific problems i should look at before i buy it?
Old 03 Jan 2012, 11:57 pm
Banned

Default Re: Need some general advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjew78 View Post
I am looking at getting an 01 PT Cruiser limited with 78k miles. The guy wants 2300 for it. He just did the timing belt, brakes, rotors, water pump. Then his father had to be put in a nursing home so he got his dads car. So he wants to sell the PT Cruiser just to get back what he put into it plus a little extra. He was told that the car needs control arm bushings but the mechanic said it would be cheaper just to do the whole control arm.. He also said the dash has a crack in it. From what i am reading thats a normal problem? I am wondering if there are anything other specific problems i should look at before i buy it?
I am kind of perplexed, why does someone do this at just 78k miles unless its broke before or he is super maintenance man, but then the bushing arm doesnt make sense with being super maintenance man, and a cracked dash???

I think I would pass personally, too many nicer ones out there for the same amount of money
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:02 am
Regular Cruiser

well i am limited to what i have to spend. I have like 3k out the door. I wasnt specifically looking for a pt cruiser, i have checked the area and everything else around here at the same year is like 4500
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

The dash is about $125 and about 1/2 hour to change...My wife's 01 PT had it cracked when I bought in 2005, so is pretty normal maintenance, specially if you live in the southern states...The control arms are $75 each ( Moog brand ) and about 1 hour each to replace and is a normal maintenance too...
My guess is that the timing belt was already done because the owner followed the maintenance schedule ( I believe for an 01 was 120000 miles or 80 months, whichever comes first ) or it broke ...either way you are saving a lot of money if it was done but I would ask for receipts, just to make sure.
If the body is good with no accidents I would buy it, specially because has only 78k miles..... and for $2300, is not bad.
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Yeah he said he has all the records. OK i will definitely go check it out. Is there anything i should look for that would be an expensive repair?
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:38 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Ask about the transmission: Did they do any maintenance? Like a tranny flush and filter change?
The only thing expensive was the timing belt replacement ( about $1000 ) but is already done.
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Alright i will find those out. Thanks!
Old 04 Jan 2012, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Xtrm always gives good advice. I would add to it that I'd do the 'normal' checks as in look at the air filter, check the oil, brake, steering and tranny fluids. When you check the tranny fluid, sniff it and if it's got a nasty burnt smell, you may have issues. Also if you can, get it up on a lift, a jack or drive it up on some ramps and get underneath. Check for leaks, especially around the tranny and specifically the tranny pack on the side. Also, when running, slowly turn the steering fully to the left then to the right, slowly, and listen for steering pump feedback. If you get the screeching sound, just walk away from it. Minor noises are okay, and could indicate anything from needing a fluid change to having air in the system. Also make sure you check the rotors and pads, and if it's got drums on the rear you might want to take it to a mechanic and have them do a once over on it. Me personally, I have a friend who charges $35 for a vehicle sales inspection, takes about 30 minutes and he goes over it head to toe. Worth the money in my opinion, also he's a certified Chrysler mechanic so he knows what to look for.
Old 04 Jan 2012, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

$2300 for a Limited w/78,000 miles and Timing belt done is a good deal.
Ask about transmission flush, and if one wasn't done, get one done - be sure they only use ATF + 4. Flush costs about $200.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Jan 2012, 09:52 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Ohh I forgot, if you need a Carfax for that car, just PM the VIN number and a Fax number so I'll get it and fax it to you right away...I have free access to Carfax so let's use it