PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser Alternator/Battery strange Odometer Reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2012, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Alternator/Battery strange Odometer Reading?

Hello Everyone,

Would really apprecaite your combined expertise as I try to determine what is wrong with my car before I bring it into a shop. I'm currently at home waiting for my wife to get my kids ready to boost my car so I can drive it home as it died 2 blocks from my house...

I noticed my stereo doing some weird things 2 days ago. The CD sound of it "loading" would constantly turn on while taking corners. Yesterday, every 7 seconds I would hear the CD "loading" sound happen constantly. It happened the entire ride home.

When I woke up this morning, battery was dead.

After charging the battery, i started to hear some really weird noises coming from the car. The spedometer started spinning oddly, and it makes a buzzing noise when I try to turn on my emergencies. I also had a strange reading on the odometer that read "DON'T". I ignored all this, and started up my car and it died 10 seconds later once I disconnected the booster cables. I then re-boosted the battery for 20 minutes, and left for work. 3 minutes later it died at the lights with the same spinning dials, strange buzzing noises and the error message "don't".

My friend thinks it's the alternator?

Any ideas of how I can trouble shoot this issue, or some basic steps I can take to narrow it down before I get ripped off from a mechanic who knows I'm clueless!

Much appreciated guys!
Old 05 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Alternator/Battery strange Odometer Reading?

go to like napa autozone orileys or any car parts and have them do a charging system test that will tell you if it charging and or if the battery is good and it is free
Old 05 Jan 2012, 01:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

how old is the battery?
my guess is the battery is bad and needs to be replaced. PT's are know for doing some very strange things when the battery goes bad...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 05 Jan 2012, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll give that a shot. How in the world does one remove the battery from the PT? I thought it was under the place where the positive terminal was but when I opened up the "Battery case" it was only a fuse box??

Please tell me it isn't a difficult removal. I just had my water pump replaced and they had to drop my engine... UGH!
Old 05 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your not joking, the battery is right under the forward part of the air filter box. If you took things apart enough to get to the under hood fuse box, it's hard to believe you didn't see the battery...UNLESS your writing this from overseas and you have the diesel engine. The battery for the diesel PT is under one of the seats. You didn't fill out your profile so it's hard to tell.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jan 2012 at 02:58 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2012, 09:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Battery is shot. Get a new one.

Your battery is (if you have a U.S. PT with 2.4 engine) under the front part of your upper air filter housing cover. You must remove the upper part of your air filter housing to get to your battery.

After installing a new battery, make sure the terminals are nice and clean. Then after tightening the battery clamps, spray the battery clamps with CRC Battery Protector (it comes in a yellow can).

Tim
Old 06 Jan 2012, 05:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

You car is running on the battery, if you get it running and disconnect the ground from the battery and it dies it is the Alternator. When your car is running across the battery terminals it should read at least 13.7 volts when charging. If the volts is dropping the alternator is not working. I just replaced one on a GM Trailblazer last week for $180. Something else is corrosion on the terminals does not let a battery recharge, bad ground, frayed cable. ect....

Last edited by interrex; 06 Jan 2012 at 05:11 am.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies & sorry for the delayed reply. Been a hectic week!

I wasn't kidding, I had never needed to boost the PT since I owned it, and couldn't locate the battery the first time I looked (briefly).

I finally had time to take the battery out. When I finally got it out and went to charge it, the charger said the battery had 13.? volts and 80 battery life. If the issue was battery related, wouldn't the readings be much lower than this?

Any suggestions on how I might be able to trouble shoot this further? I MUST have a working vehicle for early next week so I'll do whatever it takes over the next few nights.

Would appreciate some more feedback!

Thanks
Old 10 Jan 2012, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How did the cables look? Many owners have problems because corrosion gets between the cable ends and the battery posts also at the started end where the positive cable attaches to the starter solenoid. Even though the battery puts out a good voltage, that voltage can't make it to the starter if corrosion has built up on the cable ends.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. There was some corrosion, but nothing crazy. I'll get out some baking soda and some brushes and clean them to the best of my ability. For the corrosion between the positive cable and the starter, I literally just follow the positive cable until it reaches something right? And try to clean the connection? Sorry... I'm really pretty clueless

If the problem persists should I do the alternator test that was suggested by interrex? I'm assuming the ground is the same as the negative right? So, get the car running, disconnect the negative and if it dies it's the alternator? Will it die immediately, or just if it dies at all that is my hint that it's the alternator.

If I'm not understanding that correctly please let me know.