PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possible blown head gasket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2012, 02:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Possible blown head gasket

Now,
my mom bought an 04 pt in early 05. had a few problems ealry on, but nothing major(really it was miniscule). the only thing is that the brakes grind, several dealerships and a couple shops have all said there is nothing wrong with them. even made the second or third place replace. they still do it to this day. the car has about 135k now. i borrowed the car to go to some National Guard training begining of dec. i was there for 2 weeks, and it was raining and very cold the whole time. so there were alot of early morning cold start-ups and drive about a mile to the defac. then about an hour later drive back. for about 2 weeks. we were packing up the vehicle the morning we were leaving and a friend mentioned that there was fluid leaking under the car. he is a mechanic(military) and confirmed that it was coolant. because we were about 2 1/2 hours from home, he said to buy some coolant, fill it up, buy extra, and take it easy on the way home. so i did. and really it ran great, i got better gas mileage then it had in awhile. just my luck, i was no more then 3 minutes from the house, and it started over heating. so i quickly pulled over and shut it off and let it cool down. it almost seemed to cool down too quickly i think. topped it off again and went home. like 2 days later she took it to the shop and they said it was the fans, and replaced them. the next day on her way home from work, it overheated again. had it towed back and they said it was the head gasket. quoted her 1200. its been paid off for awhile now, so she went and got a new car. she told me that rather then sell it for chump change really, that if i fix it, i can have it. i know the costs of the parts to fix the HG, the machining and all that. but i find that to really find something out, ask the people that have been there, dealt with it, and still have something possitive to say.

so my question is,
What am i looking at getting myself into with the PT?
What are those unexpected things you run across?
Old 06 Jan 2012, 04:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Possible blown head gasket

Get a compression test to make sure the head gasket is gone.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 06 Jan 2012, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is how i got my 01 pt, cheap "'possible head gasket"" it overheated and blew the radiator , The guy replaced the rad and could not bleed it,because of steady bubble in the rad.So he sold it as"" need head gasket" I took it home and checked everything and found that the fan connection was not making contact, fix that and a year down the road it was due for a timing belt, so I change the head gasket at the same time.There was noting wrong with the old gasket.
When the guy bled the rad, he never opened the bleeder valve, it was dirty and had no sing of being touched.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sure, rule out everything else first.
Headgasket is really cheap to do, but it's NOT fun!!!!!

There's several how-to's atop performance forum