Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Diagnostic Code help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2012, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Diagnostic Code help

2004 PT Cruiser, 2.4L engine. Engine light came on, and the "key dance" showed P0422 and P0522. The 422 has happened before and the guy at Auto Zone sold me a new gas cap. Now it's come back. What would be the next logical thing to look at? The 522 is a new one. I know it's low voltage on the oil pressure sensor. New oil pressure sensor? Any trouble driving it with that light on until I can get it changed? Any tricks to changing it out? It's not covered in my Haynes manual at all. Thanks a lot!!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Diagnostic Code help

The fault code P0422 is for the Catalytic converter and it's saying it's bad. If you have less than 80K it should be covered by the emissions warranty. Lots of owners had problems with the oil pressure sensor. Sometimes it even stops the car from running but no body knows why. It's a PITA to change but can be done from the top by moving some things out of the way.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you sir! But I "fat-fingered" when typing in one of the codes. It should be 442. Like I said, the guy at Auto Zone sold me a new gas cap, and cleared the code out. It stayed off for a month until coming back on. Just curious about what else to look at other than the cap. Thanks again!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK. Some people have had problem with the vent tube that runs with the gas filler tube into the tank. How they found out there was a problem I don't know. Are you sure that when you getting gas you put the cap on with 3 clicks to make sure it's sealed? The code will come back each time if you don't put the cap on correctly and make sure it's sealed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes sir, making sure the cap clicks at least 3 times when putting it on. It went out last week and has been off since, and my son has put gas in it twice since. I don't know. Guess I'll just let him drive it! Going to wait until it warms up to put the oil pressure sending unit in. It has gone off too, and hasn't come back on. When I get my tax money back it's due for a timing belt and water pump, so might just wait until then when I can actually get to the sensor! Thanks for the help!