Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 GT engine light on, jerky when shifting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 GT engine light on, jerky when shifting

I had a little problem this morning, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

I have a 2003 GT, automatic transmission, around 40k miles.

I starting the Cruiser this morning, and the first thing I noticed was that it took a while for the engine to start. Once everything settled down the engine light was still on, but the car was idling fine. I let it run for a couple of minutes, then turned it off and tried it again. It again took a while for the engine to start, and the engine light stayed on. I let it idle for a couple more minutes, so I decided to give it a test. Once the transmission shifted to 2nd, it jerked a little bit like it was fighting to get gas, and then settled down. Rather then risk a breakdown on the highway I turned around and parked it and got a lift to work.

Any ideas? My first thought was the turbo, second is the transmission. Another thought was that it was cold, itís usually sitting in the sun for a bit before I leave for work, but I parked it in a different place last night that didnít get any sun, and itís been below freezing here every morning, and perhaps that might have something to do with it.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 04:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 GT engine light on, jerky when shifting

With any CEL... do the key dance and get the code. Instructions are on the forum, just search.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
With any CEL... do the key dance and get the code. Instructions are on the forum, just search.
Yeah, I looked up how to do that a bit ago. Going to have to wait until I get home to check that. I'll post the code when I get it.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Error code is 340 - No camshaft signal to the computer from what my cheat sheet says. I do some research on this site to see what I need to do to fix/replace.

Fortunately, it seems to be running fine now, but I don't know if the sensor problem is going to cause any other issues down the road.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pretty easy to replace but ONLY use a genuine Chrysler/MOPAR replacement Camshaft sensor. Others from auto stores either don't work at all or fail in a short time.

Need info on it, use the search on the forum for P0340. Dozens or more threads pertaining to the failure and replacement.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.