Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'05 Turbo Vert "overheated" 1st time...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2012, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '05 Turbo Vert "overheated" 1st time...

So on my way to work this morning I was cruising along at about 35mph, when I got to a light I began to hear a bubbling sound "like when water boils"...1st thing I did was look at the gages, sure enough the hot temp light was on and the needle was just about at the RED! OMG I thought, then immediately pulled in to the gas station that I was just a few feet away from me....once parked I unlocked hood latch and smoke was coming out and there was also a huge leak under the PT of a pink liquid. I called AAA and had them take it to my mechanic who said the PT's are known to have the fan stop working...he called us later to say it is the fan motor, he went and got a new one to then realize once he took it all out that a nut had come out and hit a fan blade (braking the fan), he tried to find out if he could just replace the fan but was told by the parts store that the fan comes on the motor, so I can imagine what that will cost. He also was worried because water was coming out of the exhaust (he hopes I did not blow a gasket)...he is running it now and says it's not heating up and will let us know later if he finds any further damage.
So how many of you drive in town always checking your gages? I was asked by a few people (dad, mechanic, co-worker) if I noticed the temp gage going up, no...I was just driving to work and thinking about getting some breakfast. lol

yes, I'm a woman, go ahead with the women jokes.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 08:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: '05 Turbo Vert "overheated" 1st time...

I know I constantly check it. This past summer I waiting in my car with the A/C on and I saw the gauge creeping up. It never went over 3/4 hot. I was low on coolant and traced it to a leaking radiator. I'm sure most head gasket failures are caused by overheating, so a quick glance at the gauge is a little insurance to prevent a major repair.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, coolant out of the exhaust is a sure sign the head gasket cracked. Wife did it to an old Dodge we had. Hopefully it's not bad enough to have warped the head. No offense, but that's why they call the red lights on the dash "idiot lights" and are for the millions of drivers that never look at the gauges. The light is supposed to get their attention that something is terribly wrong and to stop the car to find out what it's trying to tell them.

It's much more accurate to have the needle gauges so the driver can see what exactly is happening and check it out before major damage.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 09:23 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm a chick and I ALWAYS keep an eye on my gauges cause you will find that those "idiot lights" as Crewzin described usually only come on when the source of the problem gets really bad.

I try to explain this to my husband (I love him to death forever but the poor man's idea of properly maintaining a car is by putting gas in it) that if you keep an eye on gauges - ie temp gauge and rpm's you can spot a problem sooner rather than later because a small problem with a vehicle usually turns into a large and expensive problem when left unattended. And yes, as far as working on vehicles/maintaining them the roles are quite reversed in our household!

Last edited by Surf_Blu_Baby; 13 Jan 2012 at 09:27 am.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linasmom View Post
So how many of you drive in town always checking your gages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Blu_Baby View Post
I'm a chick and I ALWAYS keep an eye on my gauges ...

I try to explain this to my husband (I love him to death forever but the poor man's idea of properly maintaining a car is by putting gas in it) And yes, as far as working on vehicles/maintaining them the roles are quite reversed in our household!
Nowadays the average male isn't any more car savvy then women, as we see with Blu, it's the other way around.

I certainly don't look at my gauges constantly, 1. The lights are out and half gauges don't work any more, and I don't unless I expect it's getting warm (I don't have fans) and time to turn heater up.

I do have an '03 head if you need it.
Not to be a harbinger of a bad head, these are very good pieces, so likely it will just need a headgasket and perhaps some milling. Have them check the cam bore alignment before milling head, please.

And I can't think of any women jokes that'd fit here
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The outcome: $460 later $160 for a new fan/motor and $300 labor!
Mechanic said it was just the fan, he replaced it and ran the car last night and today and no other problems, not heating up anymore and no more fluid coming out of exhaust. He said it should be fine, so I will be keeping an eye on that temp. I'm no mechanic, but I think the labor was a bit high, but then again, I was not there to see how much work he had to do, he told my hubby that he had to take apart the front end to fix. What do ya'll say? I hope that I don't have anymore problems with the PT for a long time. (Just 2-3 weeks ago it was down too, hubby had to change the cam shaft sensor) Thanks for the advise and for the offer on the parts.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a write-up on replacing the fan on the 01-05 cruiser. I took me about 2 hours not knowing anything that had to be done. I could probably do it in an hour the second time. Yes, you were charged a little over the top. Considering dealers charge somewhere around $100 an hour, he's saying it took him 3 hours. Probably went to lunch in the middle. Yes, part of the front has to come off but that's just a matter of a few screws and bolts.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I did a write-up on replacing the fan on the 01-05 cruiser. I took me about 2 hours not knowing anything that had to be done. I could probably do it in an hour the second time. Yes, you were charged a little over the top. Considering dealers charge somewhere around $100 an hour, he's saying it took him 3 hours. Probably went to lunch in the middle. Yes, part of the front has to come off but that's just a matter of a few screws and bolts.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
He did say he checked out everything else, also did a compression test, ect...I feel it was a lot of $$$ but to his defense he is in a wheelchair, he works with his son that helps him out. We have used him in the past and so far so good.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No offense, but why do people always add information after the fact? Yea, if he checked everything else out and he had to take the upper manifold off to do the compression check then your price is right.

Old 13 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linasmom View Post
So on my way to work this morning I was cruising along at about 35mph, when I got to a light I began to hear a bubbling sound "like when water boils"...1st thing I did was look at the gages, sure enough the hot temp light was on and the needle was just about at the RED! OMG I thought, then immediately pulled in to the gas station that I was just a few feet away from me....once parked I unlocked hood latch and smoke was coming out and there was also a huge leak under the PT of a pink liquid. I called AAA and had them take it to my mechanic who said the PT's are known to have the fan stop working...he called us later to say it is the fan motor, he went and got a new one to then realize once he took it all out that a nut had come out and hit a fan blade (braking the fan), he tried to find out if he could just replace the fan but was told by the parts store that the fan comes on the motor, so I can imagine what that will cost. He also was worried because water was coming out of the exhaust (he hopes I did not blow a gasket)...he is running it now and says it's not heating up and will let us know later if he finds any further damage.
So how many of you drive in town always checking your gages? I was asked by a few people (dad, mechanic, co-worker) if I noticed the temp gage going up, no...I was just driving to work and thinking about getting some breakfast. lol

Hi Linasmom, the bolt that you are referring to is the bolt that holds the motor to the shroud? Well there is not bolt but rather a reatiner clip that slides thru the shaft of the motor and is locked onto the shroud. I suggest checking Parts Geek and Rock Auto, online parts stores to see the different prices.

I am looking to change out my rad motor to and found that the motor can be found at Parts Geek and not many others parts stores. The range in price as we have turbo is somewhere about 100 - 150 dollar more for the whole unit and just the motor goes for 67 at Parts Geek.

Anyway when I do change mine I am going to not just change the motor and such, but the thermostat from a 195 to a 180 MotorRad makes them and the hoses as well and the radiator to.

Should u need a new headgasket, have the mechanic change the timing belt and water pump as it is all there and ass he is in that area doing work should not cost that much more. Also ask if the heads should be sent out to the machine shoip for work? How many miles does she have? 100k is should be done for piece of mind and safety. He has to drop the cooling system fluid to do so, so why not do it right? But depends on cost, if u can get him the materials for 1/2 or more on what he pays, that would be a huge chunk of change saved. Good luvk.