Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Poor front screen de-fogging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2012, 05:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Poor front screen de-fogging

I mentioned this before but never actually asked this question.

My 2001LE is awful when it comes to keeping the front and side screens demisted now its cold outside. Either we switch the blower to the front screen and the door windows mist up or we change the blower output to the side windows and the front screen mists up. This is with the air con turned on.

Question is, do I have a problem with the system or is this normal? Should there be a position on the switch that allows air to blow on to the front screen AND the side screens at the same time?

I hope this makes sense.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 06:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Poor front screen de-fogging

Ensure you are on fresh air, not recirculating
Old 16 Jan 2012, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...and to add an answer to one of your questions; The demist setting throws air on the from windshield and the two vents on the top of the dash that are pointing towards the two side windows. I had to use it this morning and it worked really well. Cleared the side windows in about 1 minute on high.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 05:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Tried fresh air and recirculation, it seems I have a problem. If I put it on windscreen/windshield I get nothing out of side vents.Only get out of side vents when set to upper body level. Hmmmm

Thanks guys
Old 18 Jan 2012, 02:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

You may have some baffles messed up inside the dash... they change the way air moves from place to place.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 03:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

IDK if this will be helpful, but snapped this yesterday:

Lower right is where blower would be, middle right is where fesh / recirc door is (Don't know what that silver servo does, perhaps open /close that very door) Center is heat mix and vent select control cables
Old 18 Jan 2012, 04:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Jassy,
The round vents at the left and right sides of the dash are not defrost vents. They will only blow air in the upper body or upper-floor outlet mix locations. They do clear the side windows nicely when aimed at the windows with the control knob turned completely counter-clockwise.

Crewzin was talking about the fixed, small (somewhat oval) vents in the dash cover near the speaker grilles. Like the center defrost below the window, these should blow air when the direction control is set fully clockwise (defrost or in defrost-floor mix) and the fan is on. if they do not, then they are blocked or the air tubes are disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
Tried fresh air and recirculation, it seems I have a problem. If I put it on windscreen/windshield I get nothing out of side vents.Only get out of side vents when set to upper body level. Hmmmm

Thanks guys
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks sanatanadharma and others. I spoke with another owner today and she has exactly the same problem. Demists from screen when switch is fully anticlockwise and side screens when fully clockwise.

I will check for blockages in the side vents as mentioned above but I would think it unlikely that both are blocked.

Appreciate the advice though guys, keep up the good work. This is the only car forum I have been on that is really active and helps all owners. My other car for work is a Kia and my daughter has a Fiat, both forums joined and get very little help or advise.