PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie: Coolant reseviour low again, temp. is in midrange, any tips appreciated!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2012, 02:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie: Coolant reseviour low again, temp. is in midrange, any tips appreciated!

Just purchased this sweet 1-owner well maintained 2001 cruizer, its 5-speed Hurst stick and has a (Jackson Racing Supercharger), K&N Filter kit, Borla Headers, High-Flow cat, and Borla stainless steel muffler.

I topped off the oil and noticed that there was no coolant in the reservoir. so I drove it a couple days and the reservoir took a pint? where is it going? Its not going in the engine cause my oil looks fine, and its not dripping on the ground, should I have my water pump changed? any tips and help much appreciated in advance!
Old 19 Jan 2012, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie: Coolant reseviour low again, temp. is in midrange, any tips appreciated!

If it's not going on the ground and not in the oil, you might have a slow drip onto the exhaust which burns it right up. Try feeling the bottom of the overflow container to see if it's wet.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie: Coolant reseviour low again, temp. is in midrange, any tips appreciated!

The plastic water neck is famous for cracking. New cap wouldn't hurt. These where the cause of a similar problem with a friend here locally. Thermostat while you are there. This will burn off to & and not show on the ground, if small leak. Can get at any auto parts.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you both for your input on my problem, I will look into it today, and get back to you laterz.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 01:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks to Crewzin, and Busted PT for the suggestions!! Problem found!! The reservoir tank did have a little coolant on bottom and the cap is also a lil bit loose. will fix it on saturday. Mahalo & Aloha! from the "808 STATE"!!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your welcome, fantastic news!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalanz View Post
Many thanks to Crewzin, and Busted PT for the suggestions!! Problem found!! The reservoir tank did have a little coolant on bottom and the cap is also a lil bit loose. will fix it on saturday. Mahalo & Aloha! from the "808 STATE"!!
That's excellent news. I can spare you my "only use HOAT Coolant" rant. You do use HOAT coolant, don't you? Please don't say that you are using Dex-Cool.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
That's excellent news. I can spare you my "only use HOAT Coolant" rant. You do use HOAT coolant, don't you? Please don't say that you are using Dex-Cool.
In my experience they'r all good if used as directed & you don't mix them together. Don't in any way want you to think I'm ragging you. Your preference is certainly a good chose. I just go with whats in it unless starting with a dry system. Thin I use the one I like. lol
Old 21 Jan 2012, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From Chrysler:

ENGINE COOLANT
WARNING: ANTIFREEZE IS AN ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASE COOLANT AND IS HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. IF SWALLOWED, DRINK TWO GLASSES OF WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING. IF INHALED, MOVE TO FRESH AIR AREA. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT STORE IN OPEN OR UNMARKED CONTAINERS. WASH SKIN AND CLOTHING THOROUGHLY AFTER COMING IN CONTACT WITH ETHYLENE GLYCOL. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. DISPOSE OF GLYCOL BASE COOLANT PROPERLY, CONTACT YOUR DEALER OR GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR LOCATION OF COLLECTION CENTER IN YOUR AREA. DO NOT OPEN A COOLING SYSTEM WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE OR HOT UNDER PRESSURE, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT. AVOID RADIATOR COOLING FAN WHEN ENGINE COMPARTMENT RELATED SERVICE IS PERFORMED, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT.

CAUTION: Use of Propylene Glycol based coolants is not recommended, as they provide less freeze protection and less boiling protection.
The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol base coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
The green coolant MUST NOT BE MIXED with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant the complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.

CAUTION: Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Doing so will reduce the corrosion protection and may result in premature water pump seal failure. If non-HOAT coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified coolant as soon as possible.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jan 2012 at 03:14 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Adding on to Crewzin's quote, the use of Dex-Cool generally results in a clogged radiator and hardened water pump shaft seals. Both are bad, bad news. It is also possible for the Dex-Cool to cause leaks to the head gasket. The previous owner of my 2001 had it serviced at Midas, who put in Dex-Cool. So it needed (surprise) a new radiator and new water pump when I bought it. But I expected that, anyway. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the head gasket. It has the correct orangish HOAT coolant now.

Bottom line: Dex-Cool and the green stuff cost about $5 to $8 per gallon less. So you can save maybe $20 now, and it will only cost you $500 to $1800 later, if you have a mechanic do the work.