Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odometer reads all 8's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2012, 05:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Odometer reads all 8's

My wife informed me today that the odometer in her 2001 cruiser went from reading 95,000 km to all 88888 anyone ever have this happen and if so how to repair .

Thanks Wayne.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Odometer reads all 8's

Wayne,

Don't know if this will repair it but there's a way to test all the numbers and needles of all the gauges.

Right hand, put the key in the ignition. With your left hand reach up and push IN the black reset button (the one to reset the trip meter). Hold it IN and with your right hand turn the key to ON (don't start the engine). As soon as you do that, the numbers in the dial that has the odometer reading will start to do a test like this: 00000000, 111111111, 22222222 etc. testing all the numbers. After that each needle in each gauge will start a test like this in the gas gauge: 0/0, 1/4, 1/2. 3/4, 4/4, then move on to the next dial. That tests all the numbers and gauges. Also, you can let go of the reset button once the test starts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 07:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin I'll give that a try . I'll reply with the results but won't be for a day or two thanks again .Wayne
Old 21 Jan 2012, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your very welcome. As I said, don't know if that will help or not. One person had a needle in one of the gauges stuck at the top, the test help them so maybe it will reset your odometer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Count your blessings...it's getting newer!
Old 25 Jan 2012, 08:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I tried what you suggested Crewzin , it was worth a try everything is working including the trip odometer but the mileage odometer is still all 8's . I've read that the jeeps are having the same issues . Thanks again for your suggestion any further help would be much appriecated.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a control module replaced in my Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years ago. Due to a really long delay waiting for the part, the shop put in a sort of "loaner" module ... this affected the odometer reading. When my part came in, the odometer reading went right back to the original mileage. It was somehow "programed" for my vehicle. I wonder if there isn't some issue with a module within your own vehicle that has affected the mileage readout?

I'm a real novice, so I'm just brainstorming. Good luck.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply Julia, I'm hoping its just a dirty connection on the cluster not the ECM . As its just the mileage odometer and it happened so sudden .