Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel gauge delay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Fuel gauge delay

Filled up from empty the other day. Started the car and the fuel gauge didnt move at all and the petrol light was on. Drove for a few minutes and it eventually shot up to full. Just wondered if anyone else has seen this?
Old 27 Jan 2012, 03:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel gauge delay

This is all from the Neon (PL Body), I assume it's similar / exactly the same as PT:

Fuel gauge has a dampened delay. Unlike older GM cars, where you would see gauge 'bounce' when you turned a corner or drove over undulations, Chrysler's have gone with 'slowed' reactions; gauge readings are smooth.

However, the delay isn't that long!

I really don't know what would cause this, sometimes the little in tank reader will get worn, or contacts loose pressure. Obviously, but unlikely, it could get stuck on something or float lose 'floatation.'
Here's what the little sender looks like, difference between PL body and PT body would be indiscernible:

I'd ignore it unless it occurred MORE seriously and frequently- IOW, you know the tank is full, and a few minutes delay in indicating this isn't misleading anyone.

Last, when low-fuel level light is on, the PCM won't activate Check Engine Light as engineers didn't want light to go on due to engine sputters from low fuel levels.

IF it does come to changing out the little sender, there's posts here describing the procedure- You can buy the little sender (or could) separate from Fuel pump module from dealer.

It's very likely you could 'fix' the sender without replacing it, but most are willing to spend extra on a new one rather than risking changing it out again!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Filled up from empty the other day.
Just to let you know. The fuel pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel in the tank. Running down to empty a little too often can burn out the pump. It has happened to owners more than once. The pump is $300 plus the labor to change it out. Just sayin......

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Never ran mine all the way to near empty, but the needle seems slow sometimes after a fill-up to show full. It will read close to full at start up and then slowly climb the rest of the way to full after a mile or so.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Just to let you know. The fuel pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel in the tank. Running down to empty a little too often can burn out the pump. It has happened to owners more than once. The pump is $300 plus the labor to change it out. Just sayin......
x2...not to mention the fact that a nearly empty tank is an invitation for condensation to form.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 05:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Its the first time ive let it go down that far. Usually fill up at a quarter left. Had a longer drive than usual that day.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 10:06 am
Young Cruiser

I usually fill up at 1/4 tank, and my gauge takes a good 5 minutes to slowly creep up to the full position. Was a little worried the first time I put gas in it, now just accept it.

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
...Still love the damn thing
Old 11 Feb 2012, 11:43 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeachbum View Post
... my gauge takes a good 5 minutes to slowly creep up to the full position.
I meant to say 25 minutes.

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
...Still love the damn thing
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:31 pm
Banned

Remember a few years ago when Shell had a problem with too much sulphur (if I remember correctly) and it affected the sending units in the fuel tanks? in the worst case scenarios, the fuel tanks had to be dropped and new pumps or at least the sensors in the ones that you could replace just the sensors, had to be put in. A bunch of us tried just running two tanks of gas with Chevron fuel system cleaner. By the end of the second tank my gauge was back to normal. Maybe you've gotten some bad gas or name brand gas that was contaminated? In any case try some GOOD fuel system cleaner. It couldn't hurt.

Jerry